The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first lexion. Trying to decide if I should go 35' or 40' Macdon FD1 on it. I'm in a fairly flat, farily heavy crop area. Coming from a S680 with 35'. Straight cutting all crops. Thanks!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Definitely 40 feet. I am from what I think is a fairly heavy crop area and I wish I had a 45 ft as I don't like driving much over 5mph.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
I would go with a 40 ft for sure. They generally can spread the straw 40ft depending on the spreader and modifications. It will help reduce travel speeds as well. When you are in a lighter crop or something like 55 bushel per acre wheat we were traveling 5.5 mph or more with a 40 foot header and a wide body machine. Once we added keystocks to two of our rotor grates on each side like Seedcleaner did we just about had double the capacity in wheat at times because rotor loss was not a issue any more. Our limitation was how fast we could cut and engine power not rotor loss. If anyone wants a set of keystocks for their rotors send me a PM. I made some extra sets that I have forsale. I threw in a picture of the keystocks in case anyone is wondering what they look like. A 40ft header is also helpful for crops like lentil and others where cutting speed is the limitation and not combine capacity.

·
Registered
840 Posts
40' minimum. I prefer 45', but that depends on your area and how easy it is to get around when moving. We leave our 45's on 90% of the time when moving.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
For you guys using the 45ft headers does the chopper spread the straw 45' and if so what type of chopper are you using? With our modified MAV choppers we can spread 40ft pretty well but I do not think it would spread a full 45 ft.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Here are two photos from a narrow body 740 MAV in soybeans with a few changes.

Redekop knives (no winged knives except the wider Redekop wind blades on each end), removed upper rotor deflectors at exit, larger stainless fins on tailboard.

This is a 40' cut with material going beyond, into standing crop on both sides. It normally isn't quite this wide or even of a spread, especially in windy conditions, but it is acceptable, especially for the basic spreader option.
20191016_143013.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,613 Posts
It's about a foot or 2 short to spread full 45'. Using the pro chop.
Straw conditions, straw moisture and chopper settings and even straw volume can all dramatically affect both spread widths and evenness.
Being able to manage all settings from the cab really helps control spread width, while only running a 40’ full width, even spreading is easy.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
These fins help alot.

They are stainless steel, so they dont wear much.
They are taller, so they catch more air.
They are smoother so they have less friction.
They are gently curved, but with more degrees bend.

=wider throw, better pattern.

·
Registered
382 Posts
These fins help alot.

They are stainless steel, so they dont wear much.
They are taller, so they catch more air.
They are smoother so they have less friction.
They are gently curved, but with more degrees bend.

=wider throw, better pattern.
Did you manufacture them yourself?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Here are two photos from a narrow body 740 MAV in soybeans with a few changes.

Redekop knives (no winged knives except the wider Redekop wind blades on each end), removed upper rotor deflectors at exit, larger stainless fins on tailboard.

This is a 40' cut with material going beyond, into standing crop on both sides. It normally isn't quite this wide or even of a spread, especially in windy conditions, but it is acceptable, especially for the basic spreader option.
View attachment 157892
View attachment 157893
That honestly spreads way better than my turbo chop. Mine will spread 40' easy, but windrows terribly, definitely not near as even as that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts