The Combine Forum banner

760TT Questions

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
Considering adding a second Lexion, more acres this year, and the harvest window doesn't seem ot be getting any longer. Would be under 100,000 bushels per combine if we ran two equal machines. I don't see how that number justifies 2 big machines, but when the weather only allows a few short days, and downtime is really expensive maybe it is a necessity. If nothing else, to always have one machine running if one is broken.

How many upgrades would a 2011 760 have compared to our 2005 585R?
I am assuming that the wider feederhouse would be an improvement, getting the heavy wet long crop up the feederhouse and into the combine has been the bottleneck most times with this machine, not losses, sometimes have been short on power in standing dryish crop.

The headers should be interchangeable correct? Just might need to remove or replace extra sections of flighting?

After the nightmare we had with this machine the first year, you might wonder why I would want another, but after working the kinks out and finding every weak point, it behaved very well last year, in very tough and very heavy crops.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't think your machine had the jet stream fan system for blowing air under the sieves in 2005. The wide body rotors would have around 30% more grate area and the sieves and cylinder would be quite a bit wider. If you could find a newer 590 or 595 there would not be much difference in a older 760 vs 590. There was quite a large update in the 590's if I remember right in 2007 and beyond. They improved or strengthened some of the drives. ?The 500 series had no emissions on the engines. The emissions started in the 700 series. If you have a operator for the second machine it is well worth getting. We could get by with one machine but the second one has made harvest much easier and has made us a lot of money getting the crop off in much better quality, grade, and moisture. When it is go time we can get twice as much combined with the two machines before the weather turns bad. This helped us a lot and has more than paid for having the second older used machine. With two machines we also put on half the hours and we still have one machine going if there are problems with the other one. For us it is lot less stress with two machines than running one to the max.

#4 ·
DO you have an operator that can run it? Will you need a 2nd grain cart & operator? Do you have the trucks to haul the extra away? How about the grain handling/storage - can it handle the higher input? 2 combines can be great - IF you have the manpower & other machinery to support it.

I ran 2 small combines for a couple years. What I found was there was very few times when both were actually running. Either one was broke down and you kept going with the other rather than stop to fix it, or #2 was sitting because the operator had to go haul in or something. We didn't have the support for 2. Actually spent more time keeping the second combine operational than it saved us in the field.

A have a neighbor that runs 2 combines. They are almost never together in the same field. He finds it works better to keep each one as a separate "unit" - combine, cart, & truck - in its own field. "they don't interfere with each other so much". ON the other hand, I know a big farmer locally that rolls in with 2-4 combines, 2 carts & a couple trucks and wipes out a field in a couple hours.

#6 ·
Our 2005 585R has the jet stream.
Getting the grain away from two big combines in big crops when everything is going well would certainly be a bottleneck.
Fortunately for us, everything rarely goes well.
Between heavy lodged crops, snow flattened crops, off the charts moisture, mud, snow, freezing temperatures, roots, etc. just keeping at least one machine going at any given moment is a success.

We went and looked at the 760TT. It started life as a corn combine. Has the wide tooth sieves on top (TM6 I believe).
Enclosed cylinder. WIth staggered short rub bars. Is that a Sunnybrook or did Claas offer that?
Concave is staggered small wire then big wire, quite close together.
Has most features, Has header pitch but only has 2 lift cylinders, will that be able to handle the 40 foot maxflex?

#7 ·
We went and looked at the 760TT. It started life as a corn combine. Has the wide tooth sieves on top (TM6 I believe).
Enclosed cylinder. WIth staggered short rub bars. Is that a Sunnybrook or did Claas offer that?
Concave is staggered small wire then big wire, quite close together.
Has most features, Has header pitch but only has 2 lift cylinders, will that be able to handle the 40 foot maxflex?
If it started life as a corn combine it may not be TM6’s you want, happen to take a pic?

Concave sounds like a normal 7/18 (mm spacing between wires) small grain concave.

Cylinder not a Claas bit, if four staggered across drum it’s a Sunnybrook but if six Precision Farm Parts and since it came from corn country that is possible.

Yes, will lift a 40’ maxflex with ease.

#11 ·
Thread title updated since I did buy the 760TT, and it has now arrived.
Confirmed that it has all small grain components installed. Enclosed Cylinder is 6 segments, so not a Sunnybrook.
ZAPS already ordered. Impeller wear kit as well.

I think we have found all the weak points on the 585 with the harvest from h*ll, so have been going through those on this machine. Any new weak points on the 7**'s that I won't be aware of?

Some questions so far.

Fuel leaks back when it is shut off, then starts hard. Does Claas have any inline check valves, or just what ever is in the engine itself? Apparently Cat uses check valves that come loose in the filter housing and flip over, haven't checked yet.

Has cruise pilot, but the mechanism on the feeder house that was supposed to sense feeder house depth is removed and welded shut. Was that a weak point, why would this be necessary?
Feeder chain is in decent shape, outside slats are plastic, center slats are steel, with a few random steel on the outside. Any reason they wouldn't be all plastic, or all steel? Noise, feeding?
Is the sieve frame a weak point on the 700's as well? looks like the cut out for the cross shaft has been improved over the 500's. Is it worth pulling sieves and inspecting?

Unfortunately, no rotor covers, might have to try the baler belts trick.

#14 ·
Some questions so far.

Fuel leaks back when it is shut off, then starts hard. Does Claas have any inline check valves, or just what ever is in the engine itself? Apparently Cat uses check valves that come loose in the filter housing and flip over, haven't checked yet.

Has cruise pilot, but the mechanism on the feeder house that was supposed to sense feeder house depth is removed and welded shut. Was that a weak point, why would this be necessary?
Feeder chain is in decent shape, outside slats are plastic, center slats are steel, with a few random steel on the outside. Any reason they wouldn't be all plastic, or all steel? Noise, feeding?
If fuel tank kept full that problem is less bad, if it happens overnight though definitely a check valve issue.

The cruise pilot mod is below zero for making sense.

No accounting for hodgepodge feeder slats either.

Good to hear at least a very small corner of the Western Canada area has a decent crop, good luck with it and your new unit!

#12 ·
Congrats on the new 760!! I feel happy for you having another big machine after that first year when you struggled so hard. I agree 100% with the logic that SouthernSK stated. I only had 1800-2000 acres the last few years and thought about trading off my TX66 and my 480 Lexion on a low hr 2008 590. They were only offering 65g for my 480 so I kept it and ran both. Never regretted that and it kept a lot of hours off the 260 hr 590 in the next 6 years. Sale price turned out well in the end. I was alone so had to hire help. 2 guys for 3-4 weeks with one combine or 3 hired guys for 2 weeks. And the crop was in the bin sooner. If I had an extra guy put him on the harrow when it is dry for a couple days.
Grain hauling can be a challenge. I had to park the tandems and get a tridrive. Couldn’t dump two combines in a 700 bu tandem. Trailers are good but you need class one to drive them. A couple of decent 13” augers sure helps to avoid bottle necks at the yard. As I was getting older it was harder to put in the real long days and enjoy it so we worked the two combines in the same field and started later and quit earlier but still got a lot of better quality grain off every day. Better job of chopping and spreading. Easier on the combines. So much nicer running more in daytime. You will use the mornings to service two machines and get ready to go. If you can find the help I recommend running both. Hope you have a good harvest. How are your crops this year?

#13 ·
Congrats on the new 760!! I feel happy for you having another big machine after that first year when you struggled so hard. I agree 100% with the logic that SouthernSK stated. I only had 1800-2000 acres the last few years and thought about trading off my TX66 and my 480 Lexion on a low hr 2008 590. They were only offering 65g for my 480 so I kept it and ran both. Never regretted that and it kept a lot of hours off the 260 hr 590 in the next 6 years. Sale price turned out well in the end. I was alone so had to hire help. 2 guys for 3-4 weeks with one combine or 3 hired guys for 2 weeks. And the crop was in the bin sooner. If I had an extra guy put him on the harrow when it is dry for a couple days.
Grain hauling can be a challenge. I had to park the tandems and get a tridrive. Couldn’t dump two combines in a 700 bu tandem. Trailers are good but you need class one to drive them. A couple of decent 13” augers sure helps to avoid bottle necks at the yard. As I was getting older it was harder to put in the real long days and enjoy it so we worked the two combines in the same field and started later and quit earlier but still got a lot of better quality grain off every day. Better job of chopping and spreading. Easier on the combines. So much nicer running more in daytime. You will use the mornings to service two machines and get ready to go. If you can find the help I recommend running both. Hope you have a good harvest. How are your crops this year?
Our crops look very good. It has been close to record dry and record hot, but in an area where normal is much too wet and too cold, it is a pleasant change. Definitely lost some potential from the extreme heat, and some canola is coming out of flower much sooner than normal on lighter ground, with no significant rain since early July.

Reactions: Transaxial
#15 ·
Oooof. No rotor covers. DAMN. I mean DAMN! Nothing you can’t rectify by climbing in the back of the machine during the hottest part of the day!

Must have had a pile up with the feed depth gizmo and that’s how much they valued it.

We just stole another 590 at the Stoon RB sale and it has plastic slats. They actually look decent might leave them there. Rotor covers to boot!

#16 ·
Oooof. No rotor covers. DAMN. I mean DAMN! Nothing you can’t rectify by climbing in the back of the machine during the hottest part of the day!

Must have had a pile up with the feed depth gizmo and that’s how much they valued it.

We just stole another 590 at the Stoon RB sale and it has plastic slats. They actually look decent might leave them there. Rotor covers to boot!
We looked at the 590's at the same sale. Deal breaker here was that neither had the header pitch or tracks. But after seeing how cheap they went, I think I could have lived without for that price.

There were 2 760's from the same vendor, both had the feed depth removed and all welded up. Is it just a roller that measures the deflection of the feeder chain?

#18 ·
More questions.
Shifting this 760 is a nightmare. it often gets into neutral and won't go either way. Flashing and beeping shifting errors that won't go away even after it is back into gear. Try to save a few seconds by shifting to second to go across the field, then waste 5 minutes trying to shift back.
Reading on here, it looks like this is a feature, and not a bug. Am I doing something wrong, or is something needing adjusted? Push and release, or push and hold until it shifts? wiggle hydrostat? I really miss mechanical gear shifts, barely even stop while shifting gears.

Steering column randomly won't unlock ( bottom pivot, top pivot works fine). shake and stomp and push and pull, then when it lets go, it moves both directions easily. Any serviceable parts in there, parts book doesn't break it down much? Or am I doing it wrong?

#21 ·
Well that appears to work every time, without any annoying alarms and getting stuck in neutral.
But not nearly as effective at releasing some pent up agression by pushing and holding, pumping brakes, smashing the switch multiple times, and swearing a lot. Think I wll stick with my method.

#23 ·
Not nearly as frustrating as the feeder reverser. The old 480 is nearly instant. Stop reverse. The 500’s put a delay I guess to make sure the chain is stopped. The 700’s doubled down on that delay again.
It’s the same damn mechanism as the 480!
Our 2011 740 is instant reverse as soon as feeder chain stops.

The above shifting method is the only method that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.