The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have 2 7700 john deere combines on with 4 wheel drive. There was talk the other day outside the shop while working on it of putting duals on the one with 4 wheel drive. it has 24.5-32 tires???? and so does the 5020 with duals. So We were measuring it out and thinking about putting the duals off the 5020 and onto the 7700 if it stays wet like it is now. Would this be a smart decision or one we would be wishing we wouldn't had done down the road? Any personal experience of doing this? Maybe We are just brainstorming dumb ideas since we can't get in the field?? LOL

·
Registered
778 Posts
A combine final drive does not usually handle side torque loads well, meaning a wheel placed far from the axle flange. Thats why combines with duals usually have the final drive spaced well into the dish so that the flange is dead-center between the duals. This keeps excess torque to a minumum. If you would install those clamp on duals and go through a ditch so that most of the load is on the outside wheels, I would worry a lot about your final drives.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe we were planning on swapping the tires from side to side now and then put the duals on. thus dishing the inside wheels and tires in closer to the machine to cut down on width. not sure if this was what your were meaning or not. also thought about taking the spacers out that are on the combine now. thus bringing the tires in closer.
But then maybe to close to the machine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You know, if you ~have to do it to get your crop out, then you gotta do what you gotta do. My combine has [factory] duals, and I love them for stability and smoothness, but I am not sure about how much real & literal traction they add. This year's weather is certainly posing a set of challenges that has not been seen in many years. If you absolutely don't have to do it, then I would avoid it, because the drives were not built for duals and I think it would eventually cause trouble (but take that for what it cost ya') I do know what you're talking about when you state that you will keep the tires in, toward the machine, and that would certainly be the thing to do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The factory doesn't recommend duals on a 6620 either. I run them on mine though. It has 24.5x32's also. I used 18.4x34's for my duals, that way they don't touch ground until she cuts in a little. I have a muck farm that you better not even THINK about going out there without them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
try county equipment in marlette, mi. has a set of gilbert and riplo bolt on tracks out back that i think they would sell pretty reasonably. a pain i the a** going down the road, but a 7700 with rwd and those tracks would go through almost anything. we used to have a set and they would go places that would make a rubber track cry! they are balanced so not too hard on the final drives.
i hate to say this, but i sold mine for scrap 2 years ago for 700 bucks. sorry. i paid 2700 for them a decade ago. new i think they were around 15k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran duals for several seasons on my 7700 2wheel drive with both good and bad results. The bad...first thing after I put them on and pulled into a field, I broke a final drive. After replacing it, didn't have any more trouble. My combine had the heavier final drives, maybe 77 tooth??? It's been a while so don't remember the specs for sure. I had 24.5x32 rice/cane primaries and bolted on 18.4x38 T-rail for duals. (drilled holes in the primary wheels and attached with long threaded bolts) I kept the pressure in the duals very low and tried to be very careful crossing ditches, dead furrows, etc. any place that would put more weight on the duals. The duals really helped stabilize the machine and made a substantial difference holding the combine up in the mud. I would think the 24.5x32 tire might be too much tire for the final drives...also too wide for 6 row narrow corn head. If you are careful, it can be done. Good luck. I also ran tracks one year...could go almost anyplace but a hassle to travel on the road and install and remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts