The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
gear box behind cab, check the rubber mounts and the tin work under it.

if you are buying from a dealer I would have them do a winter inspection as part of the pre buy and depending on what they find in the inspection you can go from there.

the hours don't mean a lot the condition does.

depending on the year of the 9500 changes some of the things to look at. if its early or hasn't done some updates there are wood blocks on the shoe augers, the early ones had a single wood block, you can get a ball bearing kit to put in or put double wood blocks in to freshen it up.

basically start at the feeder house front drum and work your way back, checking bearings, bushings, chains, belts, cracking in any sheet metal.

the easiest thing to do if its not from a dealer is to go to a dealer and get a winter inspection sheet.

·
Registered
849 Posts
when I do an inspection I keep a small notepad in my pocket, before starting the engine I check all dipsticks, take off all shields, walk around and look at bearings and rubber bushings, look under augers for cracks or holes, look at tranny and finals for grease or leaks on the ground or tin, open elevator doors and wiggle chains to see how tight they are and look at sprockets, how much rock on the walker blocks, on each side of the combine there is a tall thin shield that opens up to behind the concave, front of walkers and rear of shoe augers. I check the wood blocks on the back of the shoe augers,

look at bottom of walkers and sides for bends or cracks, look at top of walkers for bends or cracks on the sides, how are the rooster combs, check chaffer and sieve for cracks in frame, look that all the rows are in the same place, if a couple are laying flat it might be a simple fix or might be a broken unit. check augers for sharp edges,

start combine engage separator at idle, swing unload auger in and out, turn on the unloading auger a couple times, open and close concave a couple times and watch the gauge outside the cab, change fan speed or cylinder speed and watch gauge in cab,

walk around machine at idle and just watch idlers and pulleys spin, is everything smooth, what noises do you hear, then wind her up and feel for vibrations, change in noises.

I like to jack up each axle to see if there is any movement in the axle, on concrete you can push on a rear tire to see if the rear axle rocks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.