The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently thinking of switching from growing all cotton to putting a little grain in the mix. I have been looking at some 7720 and 8820 combines and am a little stuck. I expect to harvest in the area of 500 to 600 acres of corn and beans. Should I be looking newer or would these combines do well? Anything certain I should be wary of when I look at one? Any inputs on these combines would be appreciated.

·
Registered
590 Posts
With cotton going to $1, you are looking at grain?
Just kidding.

Scroll on down though the Deere threads and you will find lots of information on looking at these combines. Either one would handle 500-600 acres easily.

Are you in cotton and rice country or just cotton country? If in rice country, be careful if you find used ones as they may be set up for rice and/or wore out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 8100, I am in cotton and rice country. I have seen some machines that you can look in the front and see out the back because they are so worn out. I am not wanting or able to spend alot of money up front. This is my reason for looking at an older machine. As far as the $1 cotton I will believe it when I fold ol' George Washington up and put him in my pocket.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the 8820's in rice country left about a decade ago... You'd be hard pressed to find a 9600 in my area still running in rice.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You are probably best off importing one from up north set up for corn and beans. I just got back Monday night from a week in the Greenville, Mississippi area. Seeing the combines setting around it looks like almost everyone (90%) is running STS or Axial Flows, and from what I could see probably 3 to 1. Did see quite a few CTSs and a few 9600s left. I was there in October and the only 8820 I saw was down in Louisiana south of Lake Providence, cutting rice.

It sounded like the cotton acres are going up next year so you are probably on the right track diversifying a little bit, by harvest next fall cotton will probably be back down to $.45. I don't know, just what I hear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True about importing one from up north. Farmers around here don't take care of their equipment like those up north. If we buy used equipment we always search north of the Arkansas border.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts