The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a leak at the rear of the pan on the front side. from the look of it i think the engine has to come out to replace it? any other ideas on how to stop it? only has about 800 hours on an overhaul and does not burn any oil, but the leak is pretty severe. we tightened the bolts which had loosened a bit and it did slow the leak, but it is still enough to be a hazard. any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
check and make sure it is not your rear main seal.I thought my machine had oil pan leak but was main seal.can replace it with motor in machine.real pain -but not as bad as pulling motor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not slinging oil, plus i put dye in the oil and used a blacklight to trace it. it is coming from about 6 inches in front of the corner on the long rail of the pan on the front side. i'm too big and too old to change the rear main from under the seat! i have heard that is a nasty one to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles...
I recall we had an issue like this on our 7720 II. the oil pan gan get warped very easily, as easily as not tightening the bolts on the proper order when you put it on, as was our issue. It wasn't warped enough to nitice with the naked eye, but it was definatly enough to run 2 gal of crankcase oil out over 15 acres. I would reccomend a new pan and gasket. My old boss, who is an excellent mechanic, has replaced the pan on those with out removing the engine, however, anyone else I have talked to reccomends pulling the engine and replacing the pan (That is from my best freind who is a Deer Field Service Tech specializing in combines) Good Luck! Here's to keepin our "Junk Deeres" up and farming!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never thought about the pan being warped, but we did have ot tighten some bolts so i bet it is. thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts