The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a new to me 1979 7720 Turbo Hydrostat. This combine has sat in a shed for the last two years. After I got it home & started checking it out, I checked the coolant level & it was about 2 gallons low. I topped it off & coolant looks to be leaking from the top tank near the coils under the upper outlet. It's hard to tell where exactly with the shroud in place.

I have the technical manual that says to remove the entire corner frame section, then remove the radiator when it's on the ground.

Has anyone done this before & discovered any shortcuts? I can set the corner section down if need be. I was curious if you could somehow get the shroud off, could the radiator come out the engine side?

I'd appreciate any tips or advice, Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I remember helping my dad do this on a 7720 years ago when the fan let go and turned into a propeller. We had a friend that was a retired JD mechanic come and give us a hand. All I can remember was that it took an evening to come apart and a morning to get back together. Good luck with your job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will probably find that the radiator has shook itself to death. Check the cylinder variator for looseness in the sheaves and the main countershaft bearings. Vibration from this area is, in my experience, the sole cause of radiator destruction on these machines

·
Registered
653 Posts
It has been a few years, but I have done several on 8820's. I remember pulling radiator out from above and not bringing the whole package down. Not a lot of 7720's around here so I have never had to do one. They may be different. I would think there is a way not to have to remove the whole package. IMO

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can remove the radiator from a 7720 without tearing the entire mess apart. Remove front engine compartment frame-work..drain coolant and remove the fan and shroud..radiator hoses..move ac hoses out of the way etc...

The fan shroud bolts old the radiator in place too...just enough room to get the radiator out on a 7720. Can do the same with a 6620 except you have to lean the entire radiator box out(loosen/remove bolts in bottom and top of box)...I use a come-along to control how far it leans out until you have enough room to fish the radiator out(not as easy as a 7720 'cause not so much room)

8820..I usually pull the entire radiator box..however I've seen other techs get the rad out of 8820 combines without all that work...never done it myself tho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read the replies about the radiator coming out the top at lunch. I only had 4 bolts left hold the whole assembly in but I really did not want to see that assembly hanging from my front end loader.

I did manage to get the rad out from the engine side. I had to lean the box out to get the fan shroud out. It was hitting on the grain tank side between the exhaust pipe and the lower angle iron/ frame. Is the clearance tighter on a Turbo?

Engine side strategy did have the risk of coil damage due to the nature of "prying" the shroud out. I had 3 people to set the radiator down (I'm a little feller).

I very much appreciate all responses.

I will wait to see what the radiator shop says tomorrow.

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.