The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost all the engine oil through a broken oil filter drain hose

Stopped engine when cylinder belt started slipping.

It did not get hot but lost all the oil (not coolant)

A 30m trail of oil was left on stubble

Waited for engine to cool , refilled engine oil

Tried to start it but starter just made clicking sound

No movement from engine

I assume that the engine is seized

What are others thoughts?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I came sooo close to having this happen on the 9500 that it scared me. If you get the brilliant idea of blocking the bottom of that hose so it can't happen again, don't forget that the engine is vented out of it (at least the 9500 is). First time I plugged it I had oil flying everywhere. After that I tee'd a new vent in above the oil line in the engine and ran it down along the original hose. Hate to say it, but with 7720's dropping in value, I'm not sure a wrecker motor is the best option. Check around for lower hour machines and you might find one for within $5k of the cost of the motor, and just keep your present machine for parts.

·
Registered
911 Posts

No movement from engine

Long, long time since I ran 77** so not sure of configuration of crank end but you should try to bar it over by hand with a 3ft bar. If it won't turn over by hand it probably ran without oil and is US.
Cheaper as others said to buy either a motor from a wreck or buy a complete machine and use one or the other for parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts

Stopped engine when cylinder belt started slipping.

It did not get hot but lost all the oil (not coolant)

A 30m trail of oil was left on stubble

Waited for engine to cool , refilled engine oil

No movement from engine

My first thought is sorry to hear this.
But the second is did the engine ever actually run at all with no oil pressure?
If you shut it down as quickly as it sounds I can't see why it would seize.
Was the the engine very loaded and/or very hot on shutdown?
If I'm reading it right it's not much different from just running out of fuel.
Is it possible the spilling of the oil on some electrical compents is the issue?
See if you can manually turn the engine somehow first.

And good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen this happen a couple/three times when I was a JD tech....

I had it happen to me once while charging a customer's air conditioner. Standing on the engine platform and reach in the cab to start the engine...as soon as the engine started...heard a mild 'pop' and motor-oil was going everywhere!! By the time I managed to reach back inside the cab and kill the engine(just a few seconds)...almost 5 gallons of oil was spewed-out!

Turned out that a rat had eaten the filter drain hose thin..and it had just burst. I've seen the hose rotted and blown too.

The old 7720 I was fixing the AC on wasn't damaged('cause it didn't run entirely out of oil..and I quickly shut it down)...however the others I've dealt with ruined the engines. That hose coming off the filter-base is pressurized at engine oil pressure I suppose...and will squirt the crank-case dry in a very short time...

·
Registered
911 Posts
My first thought is sorry to hear this.
But the second is did the engine ever actually run at all with no oil pressure?
If you shut it down as quickly as it sounds I can't see why it would seize.
Was the the engine very loaded and/or very hot on shutdown?
If I'm reading it right it's not much different from just running out of fuel.
Is it possible the spilling of the oil on some electrical compents is the issue?
See if you can manually turn the engine somehow first.

And good luck.
<Cheekily> Ahhh the triumph of hope over experience!
Yup he might get lucky Don but it's fairly likely the crank and or shells are sad and maybe the piston and bores show the result of sinfully close contact.
We hope not but I fear it is so.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Had a tractor run out of oil when a line broke and the operator didn't shut it down in time. It was bad as it had already started to slow down by the time I got there. After it was left to cool some it just went click too. Filled it back up and it did start the next day to drive on a trailer.

Dealer rebuilt the engine but when they did they didn't properly clean out the block's oil passages that were full of metal filings. So when I changed oil a 100hrs I got shinny stuff oil!!! They refused to replace the bearings. So I ended up pulling the crank and installing all new bearings!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
So the required safety measure in this case is that exact opposite of what I did with the 9500. What you need is a ball valve at the top of the hose that keeps the hose from being pressurized.
Yeh...that would be a good idea...On an 8820 I owned for a couple years I installed a short piece of heavy steel braided hydraulic hose with crimped on end that accepted a cap....I would just put a gallon jug behind the engine and stick the end of the hose into to drain.

Replacing the JD factory hose with a heavier/sturdier steel braided hyd-hose is what most guys do.

Anybody that owns a 6600/7700/6620/7720/8820 equipped with an oil filter drain hose should pay attention to it's condition. The factory hoses are just nylon braid reinforced...JD replacement hoses are the same. A hose made of steel braided stuff is much better/tougher. A valve as suggested above could be an option too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with the post above, time to move on and find another combine.

There are nice 7720's out there, or time to move up. The cost of the engine
removal, OH if necessary, is well over the value of a replacement machine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.