The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has been thinking about replacing the old 7720 with a 1660 with 3470 hrs and i have got a few questions (please bear with me I'm not to familiar with Case combines). The one we are interested in has a specialty rotor. Whats the big difference between a specialty and a standard rotor? We will be running only in soybeans and corn, is the specialty better for this job?

This combine is a 1989 so would it have a Cummins in it? And finally whats the major advantage of a rotor over a conventional in corn and soybeans? My dad has never ran a rotor and is worried about buying something he is completely unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes a 1989 would have a cummings engine in it, i personally havent had any experience with that type of engine. a specialty rotor the whole rotor has rasp bars placed over it and maybe some straight separator bars on the rear if it is set up that way usually for corn i think. the specialty rotor is more aggressive than the standard in green stemmed beans the speciality works really well.

a standard rotor has rasp bars in the front and just long straight bars in the back. we have both rotors and really i like them both and they both do a really good job. having a rotor over a cylinder machine there is a night and day difference over the sample you will have imo. and the 1660 is a lot easier to work on not as many belts and chains to worry about. the cab is a lot quieter as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so i got some info back on the 1660. Dealer said wear points are in fair condition, but will need work sometime soon. The big problem with this combine is it needs a new rear main seal. How much will this cost? And almost as important to us as the cost, is how big of a pain in the a** will it be to replace the seal by ourselves?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does the 1660 have large number 1660 on the side of the
combine??? Or small 1660 in the black stripe?? Large number will have the IH engine, small number the Cummins. If you are replacing the rear seal your self you will need a special tool for either engine, and while you're at it check out the pto shaft and bushing in center of flywheel so that don't start leaking after replacing the rear seal, or maybe this is what is leaking and not the rear engine seal??? This is most often the case, is the pto low??

·
Registered
99 Posts
I replaced my 7720 with a 1680 last fall and could not be happier. in dry conditions it does double the work and is way more user friendly and easier to work on, way less moving parts and a improved grain sample of the conventional. The quiet cab is also a nice plus

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We decided to pass on this combine. There is just to much wrong with it. Does anyone how of any other "decent" combines in the mid MO area for under $20,000?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts