The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Titan was becoming difficult to shift to any gear.I am thinking it is in the cables.Been to cold to do much work, so i have'nt verified this yet.I priced new cables and they were [email protected] from John Deere.Any one having any luck trin to lubricate the cables?Seems like I did that to a reverser cable on my old 6620.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would start with the slack or misadjustment of the hydro cable first, make sure neutral is established first, if there is any pressure on the gears which only takes minimal hydro pressure you wont be able to shift it well. The travel on the shifter lever is plenty to make the tranny shift even with worn cables but if your having hard time going in or out of gear the hydro valve must be part open. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would neutral position be established?By lookin at hydro and being able to see if plungers were half in or out?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes if it is hard to shift all the time then it could be cables. If you shut it down on an incline or even a slight little slant it will put pressure on the gears making it hard to shift. You could disconnect the cables from the transmission and see if they operate freely. The lever on the hydropump is spring loaded if you disconnect the cable from the hydro lever at the pump it will automatically go to neutral valve position, if your cable does not line up when the lever in the cab on the column is in the middle of forward and reverse/neutral, its not adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put up with the hard shifting for to long. Bite the bullet and put on the new cable. I couldn't believe I put up with that for so long!! Good luck, jps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info waitin for some warm weather now.As I remember correctly it was'nt hard shifting to neutral rather it was going from 1 to 2 or 3 to 4.Will try suggestions and let everyone know.( I guess lubrication is out of the question?)Thanks all

·
Registered
530 Posts
Actually you can lube the cables if you want to spend the time, I had one completley froze from dirt and rust on an old 3300 and basically took both cable ends loose from shifter and trans so I could work them back and forth then stuck about a 14 inch long 3/4" hose over one end clamped it, added penetrating oil and clamped in air pressure to try and force the oil through, went to the other end and began working the cable in and out with pliers till it was good as new. Wear safety glasses once pressure is applied when your on the other end, Helps with a buddy on the other end too. Im sure a little diesel or Kerosene would work just as good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Davedan is right, aint a cable ever froze that I havent been able to free up by doing just what he said. Dont think Ive bought a cable in 25 years or so. I will add that transmission fluid works great and I also put a pressure regulator on air line and set pressure to about 25lb and just let it stay on it for several hours. Work the cable back and forth ever now and then and soon walaah---brand new cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts