The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am trying to harvest my soybeans and about every 15 minutes the combine loses power and I have to clean the sediment bowl and screen. Then it is fine for another 15 minutes. I put a biocide in couple days ago and today I drained all the fuel and it is no better than before. I also replaced the breather just to be safe. This is driving me crazy!! Anybody know what this could be?
The sludge on the screen is black and super fine, not like rust when you rub it between your fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
1. Completely drain your tank, power wash the inside, use a scrub brush and flexible light if you have too.
2. Replace both fuel filters
3. Carry an extra sediment screen and a bottle of brake cleaner
4. Curse a lot.
Anyway that's what got me through harvest with my 7720 last year. Oh and getting frost bite when you are under the diesel tank for the umpteenth time in the snow is just a bonus.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Removing the tank and cleaning is less of a PITA than stopping every 20 minutes to clean out the sediment bowl. I have drained, removed, used a pressure washer, rinsed with clean diesel, reinstalled, and have had no further problems.

(or as my brother said,...."Your only other options are to buy a new fuel tank,...or light fire to this one.)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You could remove the sediment bowl and housing and get rid of that stupid inner screen. Replace it with a hose. Add a nice ball valve fuel shut off. Then add a filter housing that will hold a decent sized screw on filter. It will eventually plug if your tank is real bad but at least from hear on out you have a decent system to work with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bit the **** bullet and pulled the tank. It wasn't a bad job with my Ryobi power ratchet. I did it by myself and loaded it in the truck to get it powerwashed. As soon as I saw the amount of algae stuck to the tank, I was glad I did it. The big problem is that it has a slosh plate so you can only get to half of the tank. The good news is I can run about an hour now, and the cleaning is much easier. I'm gonna make it throughout the rest of this harvest and then get the tank steam cleaned.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Good to hear you are having better results with the 7720. It is not too terrible a job to get the tank off and clean it out. Getting it back on is a bit more of a chore, but it is much easier than cleaning out the sediment bowl and replacing fuel filters constantly.

Happy Harvesting !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.