The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to start combining canola for the first time. Looking for feedback of settings for my 7720. Should I start with settings from the manual, or try something different? 18 foot swath, average crop, pretty clean RR variety.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran my 7720 titan 2 in canola this year, had the concave around 18 and the cylinder around 600 rpm. Fan at 560 and the bottom sieve 1/8 th or a little more and I have an airfoil chaffer so no adjustment there. Seemed to do a good job but may not work for you. I had some pods in the sample but it was testing 7% moisture.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Any green pods will be difficult to remove as will a small amount of chaff in light swaths. the above settings sound close (500 rpm on the cylinder if you can get it down that low without losing belt tension and with the air foil chaffer we actually push the air up closer to 1000) but I've quit running the concave too wide open. Closing it about half way will plug the cylinder with a green wad (you'll find them) instead of the beater... and it's a way easier to clean out. The broken pods look bad, but we can usually get the dockage below 1% since they don't weigh much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well have everything set to get started and now the header won't engage. Checked wires on the sylenoid seem fine. Tested voltage with engine off key on and clutch engaged and is around 12.5 volts. With engine off, i used a jumper wire at sylenoid to listen if it would engage and there is definately power there. I am going to try removing and cleaning the sylenoid tomorrow and try again. If it still won't engage i guess time for a new sylenoid. Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes I think it will be that brush holder that screws into the end of the primary countershaft by the electric clutch. The brushes inside wear out overtime and the whole unit will have to be changed. in the meantime try tapping the brush holder and it may work for a while again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes check the brush contact (brush holder). If you get a new one, get two, you'll never have to change it again. I keep my spare behind the seat on the 8820, just for insurance. Likely the same part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled the unit off and used brake clean to flush out the accumilated grease. As i put it back together i sprayed dielectric grease inside the unit and on each wire. I check voltage again and had 12 volts on the outer wire but nothing on inside wire. (With engine off, key on and clutch engaged) so i jumped the wires and heard it engage. I had my son in the cab and cycled the switch on and off about a dozen times. Started engine, cycled header and all good now. Cycled on and off about 20 times worked great. Perhaps the switch is acting up or maybe too full of grease. But will try it out and if it acts up again maybe need a new part..
I think it was over greased.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Biggest part of combining canola, or any crop for that matter, is to thrash out the grain and leave the straw looking as good as possible. After that, the rest of the settings are easy. My 8820 T2 running the concave 3/4 of the way open and the cylinder at 350 leaves the straw completely intact. All that the cleaning system has to deal with is canola and pods.

Pods are completely stripped off of the plant
Laptop Electronic device Technology Netbook Screen

The thin transparent membrane between the two halves of the pods is intact
Plant

The stalk is kinked but not torn or shredded. All the branches are left on the main stalk.
Yellow Wire Ceiling Plant

Easiest way to determine how aggressive you are threshing is to drop the straw. I know that on the older John Deeres, this is a BIG PITA to remove the chopper, so catch some straw from the walkers from the large access door over the walkers on the back of the machine if you have a person to run the machine, or do a power shutdown and look at the straw on the walkers. Also, look at the pods coming off the chaffer and make sure the pods are free of seeds. Some years the pods dry and shrink around the seeds and will not let the seeds drop out. Then more aggressive thrashing is required.

Cylinder 350 to 400 (dual speed cylinder drive) 50 RPM above slowest speed if you have a single speed cylinder drive.
Concave 3/4 open
Air foil chaffer
Fan 650 to 750 ( will probably be lower on a 7720)
Sieve 5/16. Adjust as grain tank sample and return volume dictate.

Enjoy the Canola harvest!

Bevan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.