The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at combines for a while now to replace the old TR70. A few guys around here told me since I've been mostly looking at 7720's make sure it's a Titan II and not just a pre '85 Turbo. What is the difference between the to series? I've tried searching for this in a few places with no luck so far. Just looking at them about all I can tell is the color of the lid and the return elevator. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Titan has longer seives and the cog that determines the speed of the seives is bigger making the screens run faster. We always bought the cog from 85 models down and replaced fast cog with slower cog. Kept throwing screens out rear of combine. But other than that and modern updates the 2 machines are pretty identical. I would offer you the same advice, look for a Titan II but slow the screens down.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have heard that the JD 7720 is the most "balanced" combine that J.D. ever built, especially for that era. I don't know every little detail between the two different models, but don't think you would go wrong with either one. The 7720 was is a great combine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the titan II had a little more horsepower and had the harvest track monitor and the two speed cylinder drive. Although not standard the later ones had planetary final drives to allow the use of duals. The factory rear wheel assist also had larger wheel motors. Most had the Sunstrand hydrostat drive for the transmission although there were a few built with another brand of hydro, but the name escapes me right now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
jreinke; I have an'88 MY 7720 I am selling. It has all options 2spd.cyl, auto header,4wd, planetary final drive, 800*32 metric drive tires,maurer bin extension, harvestrac. We are selling it because we want to go to another 9500 to keep parts inventories simpler. This is agood machine with5000 hrs. PM me if you are interested; Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
not a great difference in the machines , standard transmio have 145 hp hydros have165 plus abigger fuel tank titan ii has abigger cleaning area but with an airfoil theres little difference. titan 2 needs to have the shoe slowed down or it will fall apart hydros from 1982 on have an oil hole in the transmission shaft for the hydro coupler. in my opinion look for the machine in the best condition and see if you can find out what repaires have been done sometimes houres are not that important.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts