The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
New to the board, hi everyone.

I just bought a 7721 PT last fall. cheap....real cheap, but in good shape.

Does anyone know what size swather header will let me straddle the swath with the tractor?

We are snowed in here and it's a headache to get the machines out and setup to measure, but there's some auctions coming up soon..
thanks
stu

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I have no idea but your going to need to say what the tread space/tire config on the tractor is. If I remember correctly don't you drive beside the swath and not over it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
We used min 18' when using pull type combines to fit between swaths. Was tight if swath was fluffy. Better when we went to 21', no running over adjacent swath. If you want to straddle the swaths you will need to be very narrow and will run over the swath causing a lot of shelling. Can't see much need to straddle swath.

If you use pull type swather not a problem of size as you will always be on harvested side of swath. Self propelled swather I would prefer 21' but could get by with 18'.

As jdmanitoba said spacing on tractor makes some difference, my tractors were set for 30" rows so tires were in close. Wider spaced tires sometimes could create problems making square corners as tractor tires and pu header on combine would get together. Sometimes pu header lost, sometimes tractor tire lost.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
hey crazymf......don't know if it will help you or not but you can lock the hitch on a 7721 in wide or narrow position

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must be brain dead today. Either that or too much time on the round baler on top of the swath all day. Of course I'd be between the swath or it wouldn't be big enough to load the combine at less than 15 mph probably. Thanks for pointing that out and not poking me too much. I'll look at 21' headers or bigger to 25 and have room.

Thanks guys.

stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts