The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1800 loadstar with 446 engine had a 20'x52" bed when I bought it. The truck needed a lot of basic work done on it (tires, wheel seals/bearings, lights, tie rods, engine tune up, new carb. and paint job). The 1800 has a lot larger stack of leaf springs than my two c65 Chevy 10 wheelers that have 366 engines and 20'x52" bed, so I thought I'd add 10" extensions to the 1800's bed to make it a 600 bushel truck. Well last season I filled the truck with beans and headed to the bin and it wouldn't lift the bed. I scooped about 40 bushel off the front of the bed and it lifted it. It has the very large double cylinders where as the other three 10 wheelers have harsh scissor hoists. Could my problem be with my pump( weak or not big enough) or the relief valve? If it has a relief valve then it must be attached to the pump, because I see no return line going back to the resorvoir. Is anybody familiar with this system?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I think you have exceeded the capacity of your hoist, we did exactly the same you did with an International cab forward we got with the ranch, checked pressures and everything is good. There is tremendous pressure on those hoists when they start to lift, we just don't put so much in the front of the box anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
You think those two sentences may be related?
Somehow I suspect they are:D

With that said, if you have that issue arise again before you make some changes, if possible drive the front end of the truck up a sharp incline like a pile of dirt or such, if its close, that often will be enough to lift it, easier than shoveling some off the front.

What kind of hoist exactly do you have? Model, make, ect, and what style of pump? One of those self contained Williams piston type? And how many feet of over hang at the back end do you have...like behind the hinges?

The hardest part of the lift for any kind of hoist other than a front telescopic is the first few inches. Be careful raising pressure and such, I've seen more than one where structural failure of the hoist and or hinges has taken place due to overloading:(

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Probably the cheapest and easiest way around this problem would be to install booster cylinders on the sides of the frame that help lift the box that first couple feet. Of course another consideration would be to weigh your truck and if your over loaded anyway there is not much point in loading it that much unless your hauling across fields only.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only plan on using it from the field to bin, only about 8 mile drive loaded at the farthest location. The truck is licensed for 54000 and I'm sure even with 600 bushel on it, it won't exceed 52000lb. So it should be legal.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
I only plan on using it from the field to bin, only about 8 mile drive loaded at the farthest location. The truck is licensed for 54000 and I'm sure even with 600 bushel on it, it won't exceed 52000lb. So it should be legal.
Wait a minute.
You added 10" for a total of 62"? By 20'?
That's only going hold that much weight?
Must be fluffy soybeans!;)

Just thought of something.
What is box width?
I think I remember hearing we run 6" wider boxes in Canada.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same truck with the same issue. Usually only does it with wheat in the box. Only solution I have is to put less in the box. I had everything checked and everything was normal. After a lot of checking, we concluded that it could not handle the weight we were trying to lift.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
What are you allowed for axle weights? 34000 + 12000 = 46000? The roads your traveling don't have these limits?

Like Don has stated, you start boosting pressures and such you may be flirting with disaster.

·
Registered
437 Posts
does the box hinge at rear of box and frame or hinge rear of frame with box frame over hang (all my trucks are different) this would change front to rear tilt/breakout force ?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I would have a very similar truck, a couple of years older and well used when we got it into our hands. It has a 20' box, 8 1/2' wide and 60" tall but it has a scissor hoist with fairly large double acting rams but I have no idea what make it is or what the pump puts out. The truck has a double frame and the outer frame section is extremely deep. I have never had an issue with the hoist stalling and would be heaped right up from end to end with good weight of wheat which would be the same as your beans.

Just as a comparison I measured the distance from the center point of the hinge pin to the back of the box and came up with 40 inches and would prove interesting to see what yours measures.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not at the shop to measure it now but I'm estimating the distance from hinge pin to the rear of the box to be at least 40". I've looked at the cylinders and thought about moving them towards the cab, but am unsure of how far would be sufficient. Also moving them forward would decrease the dumping height/angle, wouldn't it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.