The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 1660 Case-IH Axial Flow. Absolutely an awesome machine. Last year in soybeans, we noticed oil around the rear main bell housing last fall. Now while harvesting wheat, it's a noticeable amount with About 1 drip every 20 seconds. Since the PTO oil is always perfect when checked and the engine oil loses about 2 quarts or more per half day, I am assuming the rear main is leaking. Called the local dealer, they said it was a common problem with the 8.3 engine. Brings me up to a few questions:

1.)Is this true with these engines?

2.)Anyone else experience this?

3.)How long will it take to do this job from start to finish? Is it easier to take out the engine and all, or just hydro pump out the side?

4.)Will this be okay until we finish wheat or could the seal "blow out"?

5.)Heard to replace coupler/spline shaft on hydro pump while doing this job - true or false?

6.)Heard the oil pumps on these series went bad, should I replace this as well?

7.) For your information there is about 3,000 hours on the machine. We run 15W40 in the engine. It runs about 2550 RPM while under load. One hek of a good machine to us. Let me know your opinions, I know you guys will know the answer/s.

Thank you in advance..... Just rained and we will be a day or more to get back in, only 80 acres to go!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Firstly theses are a great engine overall.
We find it easier to rmove the hydrostat/pto and replace both seals while in there. Also check the nose of the input shaft on the pto, this can wear , if worn remove it and get it sleeved and fit a new bush to the flywheel. Also check the drive plate for cracks or loose springs.
The only problem we had with oil pumps in that series was in the first 500hrs from memory.
Always remember read and clean twice...repair once.

hope this helps
ps we are having a very dry start to the season in the west of australia hope yours was good

·
Registered
25 Posts
In regards to the rear main seal, it is very common on these engines. You have a 50/50 chance of either the rear seal leaking/spinning inside its carrier, or else the bolts that hold the seal carrier to the block have come loose. Either way, you will need a new rear main seal and a new seal carrier. Make sure you loc-tite the little bolts that hold the seal carrier to the block. Sometimes you will cut/damage the oil pan gasket while doing all of this-you may need to replace that as well.

Depending on your equipment, I would rather pull the engine. I can pull an engine out of these combines in 90 minutes-2 hours. If you have to fix the oil pan gasket, you will need to remove the engine anyways.

As far as the hydro splines, if you have the hydro pump off you can inspect the shaft and determine from there.

If this engine has the original oil pump, you're living on borrowed time. They will break off in the area of the idler gear for the oil pump-causing immediate loss of engine oil pressure. The newer pump for these engines is beefed up in this area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts