The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on all new hoses from tank, new filters and it won’t suck fuel out of tank. I had it started but if it sits for a day, fuel drains all back to tank. Usually it took about three minutes of cranking and it would start after sitting for a day, but now nothing? Maybe it needs injection pump overhauled or check valve put in, it only has 4,800 hours on tractor. It worked good a week ago, but now it won’t prime itself?? Going to use electric pump to prime it tomorrow and then when I shut down tractor I put in ball valve in fuel line by pump to shut off so it don’t lose prime again. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Yep like Sasksod said, check your fittings. Also if one of the seals is leaking around one of the throttle shafts it will do it as well. A sign of issues with that is it will often surge as if it has a governor issue at idle and even higher on some.
But rule out the simple stuff, especially if it is wasn't doing it before you worked on it.
On my 875 my main suction line didn't leak fuel but was cracked up bad on the exterior, replaced it with a new line I made and it started doing what you got going on, did a bit of checking and it was the JIC fitting and hose connection where it connects to the top of the left tank. I hadn't tightened it that hard and there had been enough of a bend in the hose where it comes out from under the cab that it didn't quite seat proper and thats all it took. Never leaked a drop of fuel either. Crawled around checking everything else first till I started retracing my steps what I had taken apart and two minutes of wrenching and problem solved. Make sure your filters are snug and seals in place, with changing so many components at once its hard to narrow it down with out going thru them all. And I have seen NFG filters over the years as well

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep like Sasksod said, check your fittings. Also if one of the seals is leaking around one of the throttle shafts it will do it as well. A sign of issues with that is it will often surge as if it has a governor issue at idle and even higher on some.
But rule out the simple stuff, especially if it is wasn't doing it before you worked on it.
On my 875 my main suction line didn't leak fuel but was cracked up bad on the exterior, replaced it with a new line I made and it started doing what you got going on, did a bit of checking and it was the JIC fitting and hose connection where it connects to the top of the left tank. I hadn't tightened it that hard and there had been enough of a bend in the hose where it comes out from under the cab that it didn't quite seat proper and thats all it took. Never leaked a drop of fuel either. Crawled around checking everything else first till I started retracing my steps what I had taken apart and two minutes of wrenching and problem solved. Make sure your filters are snug and seals in place, with changing so many components at once its hard to narrow it down with out going thru them all. And I have seen NFG filters over the years as well
Well I started changing one thing at a time, and would try running it again. If the symptoms persisted only then I would put on one more hose, stil wouldn’t start up, so then I even changed all the prints in filter housing elbows, still wouldn’t prime. So now I’m going to prime, with electric pump. Then maybe see if it still loses its prime a day later. Maybe it just needs primed again but usually these tractors after changing filters you just have to crank over for awhile. But this one won’t.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that hose by the tank. It’s tight but maybe the angle it’s not sealing properly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pressured up suction side could not find a leak so I sent pump away. I’ll keep ya updated

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pathetic the pump shop didn’t catch that one. Somebody must’ve been drinking or toking a bit much night before or that day. Replaced pump on a combine with a new or maybe rebuilt, forget, as dealer recommend it a better way to go than getting old pump fixed. Lasted 100 hours and leaking all over. Ended up local pump shop had to fix up pump on dealers dime.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya it was Wilkinson diesel in Regina, but I have to pay shipping again both ways now. They will give me free labor but I have to pay for housing. I told them pump wasn’t even worn out at 4,000 hours. but that’s all I could get out of then.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
It was cracked and getting hard to start before you sent it in for rebuild? That is a tough call. I think I would pay the shipping and pay for the housing or repair on housing. Let them know you are not very happy to do so. Ask if they will pay for your time to remove and install it a second time. Do so politely. They may be a good business to deal with, normally. Everyone messes up from time to time. They will likely say no but maybe they will remember it all the next time you have something repaired and do it right the first time.

Now if they broke the housing. They pay for it all 100%. Then ask for them to pay you for the headache on top of it all.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
This is one of them kind of bad situations and it would appear to be made even worse as am I correct that whomever you sent it to is some distance away?
They are mostly likely suspecting you cracked the housing installing it afterwards, of course they can't prove that, and that would be why they made the halfassed gesture that they did. The simple fact they are willing to eat the labor says they do realize there is a good chance they did f'k up and missed it. But they're banking on that you won't follow up on it.
How was it shipped? Is it possible it got dropped during return shipping? I run into such few years ago, bought a new carb out of the States for my Gator from a Kawasaki dealer on Ebay for a quarter of the almost 1K Deere wanted. All they did was throw the original thin box in a slightly larger USPS box and sent it on its way. By the time I got it, the original box was shredded and there was a piece broke off the carb. I sent a bunch of pics and *****ed, simple response was, send it back and we'll refund and I could then GFMS. Now thing is, the piece broke off really had no effect on the carb itself for my application, so do I send it back and go spend 4 times at Deere, (Kawasaki in Canada won't sell them), or do I simply shut up and keep it...haven't even put it on yet, but its sitting on a shelf in the shop...you know about the canary in the cowshit...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts