The Combine Forum banner

8010 afx rasp bars

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  intimidator 
#1 ·
We just finished our first season with a 2007 model 8010 and love it but would like a few more hp. The rotor has several spiked rasp bars on it....if I removed and replaced them with the standard non-spiked afx threshing bars would this free up some hp? What's their purpose? I thought they were designed for use in rice. The chopper is a 'fine cut' and has the max possible numbers of knives on it. If I removed some of the knives (keeping the chopper in balance of course) would it make a noticeable difference in hp. Any input would be helpful. I guess the perfect fix would be a 'chip' or something of the sorts to give it more fuel. (Does anybody know how to mess with tier 3 injection pump?)

#3 ·
Intimidator,

We just started our first seaon with our 07 8010 and have only done 500 ac but it sure beats the old 2388. Just wondering what you were able to get out of your machine, ac/hr what size head, crops and conditions. We are running a 40' FD70 in 50+ spring wheat with very humid conditions and during the day can usually run 3.5 to 4.5 mph an average of around 20 ac/hr. Once the sun goes down with all this humidity its 3mph tops. Were you seeing similar results? And what are your goals as far as capacity? Burns a lot of fuel so far in the wheat. The monitor shows 20-22 gph most of the time, but were running it pretty hard, only so many days of sun.
We have the standard chopper so I cant comment on that, but my dealer told me that with all the fine cut and knives all the way up it takes a boat load of power. This machine doesn't do that job on the straw the 23 did, especially when its tough, but the heavy harrow should knock it out.

#4 ·
Just finished 1500 acres spring wheat in NC North Dakota with a 08 8010 with a 40' honeybee header and experienced much the same as yourself. Running in 40-50 bu steele wheat, mph ranges from 5.5 to 2.5 depending on the time of day and humidity conditions. Acres per hour from 13 to 20. With tweaking and a hard thresh kit in the tailings dockage is right at 1%(running presieve at 3, top sieve 18, bottom sieve 7, fan 980, rotor 900, concave at 1). Fuel useage also depends on conditions but I remember seeing it at 2.5 gal/acre. This is all with the chopper knives fully engaged on a standard chopper. Wondering if others fully engage the chopper knives for tough spring wheat?
I have noticed it being more finicky to get crop settings set, but once that sweet spot is acheived my old 1688 wouldn't touch the sample that the 8010 achieves. Looking forward to starting canola as I have been told that it really shines as far as sample quality, capacity and amount left behind. Just my $.02.
Other than the honeybee header not feeding the feederhouse like I think it should(seems to bunch-up and plug the feederhouse in tall heavy fluffy wheat, and replacing a faulty lower sieve actuator everything has been in order and am satisfied. Have only cleaned engine air filter once(didn't even show on monitor), and blew out radiator once(didn't have to either as combine was running cool, just had time to) and replaced cab filter twice(very dirty) in 2000 acres of barley and spring wheat combined.

#5 ·
North1,

What did you swath your canola with? We still have 25' so it is going to be interesting to see how it will pickup at a good speed. Have a 16' swathmaster pickup and have been told that they shine at high speed but we will see. What modules to you plan on using. I picked up a set of slotted the other day at the dealer, 8010 guru there said that should help with capacity. Plan on running small wire on front 2 and slotted in back.
As far as settings in the wheat pre sieve at 2, top at 10, bottom at 17 concave at 4 to 5 depending on time of day, fan wide open and rotor at 900. Have had to replace a hydrualic spool due to low hydraulic pressure, setting off the moitor and now may have to replace the fuel gauage sender. Jumps all over from full to empty and am tired of it beeping low fuel all the time. Only 550 ac of wheat off right now but so far pretty happy.

#7 ·
Stickeye,
I don't know how valid of a comparison it will be but we have been cutting 25 bu durum and spring wheat between 4.5-7 mph depending on humidity and terrain. On the flat fields without hills the 42' Honeybee becomes the limiter as it starts leaving a few heads. In the hills hp becomes an issue, especially when the hopper gets 3/4 full or more and in the rocks I just run out of talent and the operator is the limiter.
The settings on the concaves are .3 and the rotor is turning 1000 rpm trying to grind out whitecaps. (I don't have any of the hard thresh kit yet.) The chopper knives are fully engaged and the chopper is in high during tough conditions and low once the humidity drops. After messing with the chopper speeds, especially in tough conditions, you can feel the hp it absorbs once you shift it back into high. But I like how it pulverizes and spreads residue the full 42' even in our irrigated barley.
I know hp is subjective and everyone has a different idea of how much is enough....but as a comparison, our '99 2388 with a 30' 1010 runs close to the same speed (4-6.5 mph). The 425 hp rating seems like an awful generous number to be produced by a 10.3 liter engine (I wish I knew how many ft-lbs of torque it produced and and what rpm it peaks). Overall I like the combine but I may have expected a little to much from a class 8 machine.

#8 ·
I can see where the hills would definatly eat HP up in a hurry. We don't really have many hills but what we do have when your hopper is full you definatly know it. I hope you can find something to ger a few extra ponies out if it. If you do let me know how it works out.

#9 ·
stickeye,
Plan on using small wire in front and slotted in back for canola. Swathed most of the canola with a CIH(heston) 25 self-propelled swather with shiftable draper, so it will be around 48'. Built an offset hitch on the back to pull the swath roller. Also swathed some with a 30' pull-type swather. Hope the double swath works or it could be ugly!!

#12 ·
Swathed back and forth. Figured in canola I'm always picking up a swath the wrong way and never seems to matter(gets all jumbled up while swathing). Didn't use gps or autosteer, but measured the double-swath width about 20 times and in the widest spots it was around 14.5' wide. Didn't try it in barley or wheat as I straight combined it all but I know I couldn't go back and forth and have one swath backwards. Would have to swath round and round.
If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures.

#14 ·
if you are chasing more power have you gone into the display and changed from power boost to power rise cant remember which is which but one gives you max power i think power rise is full power all the time iveco had an update in feb this year as well see if its been installed by your dealer

#17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to check to see if I have the update by Iveco, (what are the firmware #'s of the updated version) but the computer settings were changed so full power was available all the time. I was hoping the spiked rasp bars were a big power user. Does anybody know who makes a chip.......if anyone has experience I would be interested to hear how much of an improvement it made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.