The Combine Forum banner

8010 and 8 row head

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  eleob 
#1 ·
Would the 8010 do a good job of harvest with a 8 row 30in head in 200 bu corn at 5mph? I could use the capacity in wheat and soybeans. The lap row is off a lot and there are a lot of steep terraces on the custom job we do. It is planted with an 8 row.

#6 ·
Running an 8010 with an 8 row should be no problem. Run 5 mph in 200 bu/acre corn and you're cranking out over 3500bu/hr. You'll like the power, the self leveling sieves on your hill sides, and the extra room in the grain tank. The only thing I'd do is adjust the veins over the rear grates to the slow postion when harvesting corn.

#7 ·
Are you sure you'd be getting over 3,500 bushels per hour with an 8 row @ 5mph? I calculate that to be true with a 12 row at that speed, but when I computed an 8 row I came up just short of 2500 bushels/hour. Here's the formula I was using...and I could be all wrong. Math has never been my strength.

Width of corn head is 20 feet (8 row @ 30 inches per row) x 5 mph x 5,280 feet per mile. I come up with a total of 528,000 square feet harvested, divided by 43,560 sq. ft. per acre is 12.13 acres per hour. 12.13 acres yielding an average of 200 bushel per acre corn is 2,426 bushels per hour. Does this sound right? Like I said earlier, I am pathetic with math.

#9 ·
LOL, well, thanks for the confirmation, midwest. I have little faith in my mathematical abilities (and several years of school report cards and college transcripts to back up that claim).

My biggest fear if I ever make it on Jeopardy is Alex Trebek saying, "Wow...what a game! The contestants will now make their wagers based on today's Final Jeopardy category, which is...Mathematics."

I'd probably get the question right, but screw up the amount I wagered

#11 ·
Don, it's funny you mention the humor in my handle and occupation: my customers always tell me my figures are wrong (selling price way too high... trade allowances way too low...cash difference far too much). My employers tell me my figures are wrong, but for the exact opposite reasons.

#18 ·
No, nothing wrong with your math.
I can't help but chuckle at a guy who says he's pathtic at math with ironseller as a handle.
Hey let's go buy something from that guy, he can't figure anything out!
J/K of course.
While you have no math error, you have made an incorrect assumption which would change the area though.
Anyone know what it is?

Don

#19 ·
Actually guys the only person who made the wrong assumption is ME.
I was mixing up the theory of corn row picking widths with solid seeding picking widths for acreage calculations.
I ended up thinking a 9 row head instead of an 8.
What an idiot I was!
Sorry guys for sending you on that wild goose chase.
And Ironseller not only is your math fine but your theory was a 100% better than mine too.

Don

I could have went back and just deleted my posts here.
That would have left ironseller, benny and Matt Micklich with posts that made no sense.
That would have been the Bush/Cheney way.

#20 ·
Cute Don. I knew what you were going after right away. I've chased that goose before, and sometimes chase it repeatedly when I get confused
The way I picture it, each end of a corn head is 1/2 a row, it get's corrected center to center when you turn around. . .almost had me chasing again, glad you caught your own

#24 ·
yeah it would be fine you may need to probably detune the rotor
by putting 4 straight bars where the spiked rasp bars are and that would slow down flow as far as rotor loss, put the rasp bars back for wheat but not necessary for beans, run the engine on boost as opposed to power rise to save fuel, good luck

#26 ·
No one has mentioned that 200 bu per acre corn is probably closer to 250 bu per acre as it comes out of the field. It is then dried down to 15% moisture and is called 200 bu per acre. Around here we start harvest in the high 20's and go until done when it is probably in the high teens. It will be difficult to combine at 100% capacity with a 8 row head but you don't have to. I don't run my combine at full capacity because my semi can't keep up. To save a 15 minute wait between loads, I just combine a little slower. This saves fuel and allows me to set the sieves a little tighter. Also there is no problem going through a higher yielding area of the field which might slug something if I was pushing 100% capacity all of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.