The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our new 8010 in the wheat field this week and the feeder chain is jumping a link on the sprocket about once a day. Is anyone else having this problem. Our machine has the spring tensioners on both sides of the feeder house. I have talked to a guy with a 7010 and he says his does not have the spring tensioners. I am starting to think that may be my problem. We are running a Shelbourne stripper head but some of our wheat is down and it may be running big clumps of straw in occasionally. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
feeder chains do that on the 80-7010's keep it plenty tight. they are a LOT better than they once where. but they do it. 09 combines have bigger top gear. do you have a rock trap? most with rock traps never bother.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes ours does have a rock trap. If you keep the chain really tight it looks like it would be really hard on the bearings on the front drum. Should it be so tight that the chain just touches the wear strips at the leading edge? With the springs on the drum it looks like every time you run a clump of straw in one side of the drum will go back further than the other and it will jump every time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the adjustment is that if you can drop a dime in and it slides out and then drop a nickle in and it stops thats the adjustment its tough to get to that but it works so take alittle time and try it I know that it sounds kind of funny but it works.

·
Registered
120 Posts
With the spring tensioners, there is an adjustment gage. Just turn the nut until the end of the apring is aligned with the end of the gage. In operator's manual 87698310 it's on page 4-40.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony, we took the springs off and put solid bushings in and bolted it solid. Have not had any problem since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
highcotton, I think you maybe blaming a weakness in the 8010 for what is a design fault in the Shelbourne front, I ran a whole day demo with a Shelbourne on a 2388 a few years back at first we thought it was the best thing ever , the sample wasn't great but was acceptable, but as the night drew on we suddenly rotor chocked it on a corner in the feild we were real surprised as there didn't seem to be much going through, then we started looking harder, the short material that the striper produces did not allow the feeder chain to pull it in evenly and with a bit of moisture in the air the stuff had started to build up and sit behind the table auger, Obviously when we went around the corner all the material that was lodged behind the auger on the inside came across in a hurry. Then we started looking on the ground , it sown became evident that the froint just wasn't feeding the combine evenly and that's why the sample wasn't good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
northhill, if you will put an extra half link in the feederhouse chain it will grab the material off of the shelborne head. You have to do this on any brand machine running a shelborne or you will have feeding problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts