The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
What year is your machine?

What crops are you running thru it?

Some guys say run the feeder chain really tight. When I've done this my 07 machine seems to make more noise. I now tighten it like the book says, I have it about 1/2 inch off the feeder floor. Also according to my book there is an adjustment you can make to a support plate to raise the front idler, maybe yours is in the lowest position.

This has been an ongoing issue with CIH, they change the setup about every year, I see that they've gone to a spring loaded setup for the 08 machines. I think that what works for one crop with their setup may not work with another so they keep changing it. I don't think they are used to working with such a wide feeder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well if you say the 08 machines have a spring loaded tensioner, I would have to say its about time they did that. I always found that I had to keep the feeder chains fairly tight or else they would be too noisy and I did have them jump sprockets a couple of times if they were not tightened up. Only thing about running them tighter is that there is more stress on sprockets, bearings, drums, chain etc. There also is not as much slack in chain to compensate for slug or wad to go through, so I found that the chains wore out quicker. I would think that the spring loaded tensioner should help. There have been a lot of updates on feeder so maybe newer ones do not have to be run as tight ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its been getting worse....the clanging noise from feeder housing when it is empty. As soon as crop hits it it quits, but quite annoying when running empty. Feeder chain seems tight. Any ideas???!!! Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts