The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big is the 8010 hopper with the factory extensions folded out? Some say 330 bu., 350bu., and a case mech told me 330bu. without extensions and 400bu. with them folded out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Case-IH is now measuring the grain tanks using the same rules as John Deere and the rest of the manufacturers have been using for sometime now. The grain tank on an 07 is the same as the 04-06 models.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:Case-IH is now measuring the grain tanks using the same rules as John Deere and the rest of the manufacturers have been using for sometime now. The grain tank on an 07 is the same as the 04-06 models.

I'm curious what exactly these rules are, and how there was a discrepancy earlier? Seems to me, you just harvest something until it starts to run over the hopper somewhere, unload that into a truck, and the grain elevator will tell you how many bushels it was. Maybe you have to figure in a standard moisture, so the grain doesn't stack up at a steeper angle, but still... I'm just curious.

-Lance

·
Registered
25 Posts
The standard that CaseIH now uses for grain tank capacity is ISO 5687 Second edition. Not sure what the standard was before that.

As far as unloading rate on 2300 vs. 2500 combines, the unloader sprockets are different between the 2 machines, thus the higher capacity for 25xx series.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lance- How it was explained to me was the old way they actually filled the grain tank and then measured the grain that came out thus taking into account the elevator,braces,augers and tubes inside the tank.
The ISO standard now used by CNH and has been by all other manufacturers for sometime now only uses the outside grain tank dimensions and they calculate the volume. This does not take into account for the elevator housing,auger/tubes, braces etc.
That is how they "found" another 20 bushels of grain tank capacity with no change in the grain tank. They are just using the same measuring stick.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Redhat, thanks for the specifics.

I base these thoughts on the idea that redhat's info is correct. So what is the point of all manufacturers having a consistently inaccurate (over-hyped) number? Seems the people who created the ISO "standard" were book smart, but have failed at real life.

Riddle of the day: If you put 350 bushels of 15% moisture corn into the hopper of an 8010, how many bushels will end up on the top of the cab? lol

-Lance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.