The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any trouble with dust getting around the dipstick on the hydraulic system and the rotor drive. The dipstick on our 8010 has a breather built in and it sucks dust into the dipstick tube. Noticed it really bad on the rotor drive dipstick. This seems like a poor design. I have had to wrap a rag around the top of the dipstick to filter the air that is being sucked in. You would think that it would always have positive pressure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What year is your 8010? I have a 2008 and was told the dipstick doesn't have a breather. Have same problem so I wrap electrical tape around the dipstick and it now stays nice and clean and doesn't drop crap into tube when I remove it(just have to keep removing and replacing electrical tape). Did same thing to pto dipstick. Case/IH mechanic assured me this was okay to do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our combine is a '08 model. The dipstick on the rotor gearbox may not have a vent built in. I see two notches on either side of the piece that fits in the tube and I assumed that it was a vent. When you pull the dipstick out and look under the head of it you do not see much dust but you can tap it real hard and a lot of dust will fall out. The tube itself has a coating of dust all the way down (on the inside). The dipstick has never been loose when I check the oil so I assumed it was sucking dust through a vent.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I noticed dust inside the tube also and felt it wasn't getting there until I removed the dipstick. The tape thing seems to have worked but not something I enjoy doing every time I check it. The old style dipstick tubes on 14 and 16 series combines were the same way tho. No matter how hard I tried to clean off the rotor gearbox dipstick it always dropped crap down the tube when I took it off. Made me cringe, but never had problems in 30 years of running axial flows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
having the same problem on a 08 8010 raping rabbit tape around it after every chech is a hassle I shoukd nat have to deal with. Are looking for after market dipstick. Should work better than the DIPSTICK that designed the current one

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 04 and 06 8010's at least kept the dust out of the tube when you pull out the dipstick . Then along comes an over educated engineer and thinks he can make something better. Now we end up putting and unacceptable amount of dust down the tube when we pull it out on our 08-8010. Kind of like the radiator idea they had to keep it from plugging and overheating. Our 04-8010 was only blown out once halfway through harvest. Then they had the idea they could improve on this, and come out with a different rad and then tried a different rotory screen. The best unit we had was the 04-8010. The 06-8010 + the 08-8010 needs a lot more attention in that area. The 08-8010 seems to plug the air filter a lot quicker than the other ones did. I don't think these new ideas they come out with are actually thought out very well and tested.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my 08 7010 has the same problem. Supposedly they are supposed to get me a different dipstick and change the oils. We will see. It is kinda scary how much dirt got in there. I did my best to get it out without knocking it down in there. My dirt was in the tube about a foot down. I 'm sure some made it to the oil just when you pull out the dipstick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts