cutting on SRS Ranches just east of The Dalles. In this
first shot, the combine has just left the truck landing
on top of the ridge and is spooling up getting ready
to drop back into the cut.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A left turn off of the ridge and the 8010 settles into the cut at the upper end of the cove.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heading into the steepest part of this run, here the machine has hit
max on the leveler; as you can see the separator is slightly out of
level. The self leveling shoe helps keep the grain loss down in these
conditions.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my favorite shots from last harvest. The machine is back in
level as the 8010 heads for the hardest part of this run. The plan
here is to hit the steepest part of the slope light.....but the wheat
is pouring into the tank pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting to the really fun part. You can see the trucks waiting back
on top in the background.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heading back to the truck landing on the other side of the cove. Not as steep on this
side, so it makes a good return leg while the machine is heavy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Question - how did the 8010 handle the hills? Did you have to shift down at all?
Was this equipt with the auto header hight or did you have something else that enabled the head handle the hills??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great to see the pictures. We install the Hillco Hillside attachments here at our dealership in Grand Island when they come off the line at the combine plant. We do the installation on the 2300 series and the 8010s, so we probably did this machine last year. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:Great Pictures! I noticed some of the pictures the machine was not feeding correctly. It looks like straw going back over reel. What causes this?

Feeding wouldn't be the correct term to use, in small grains there is nothing that feeds better!!!! What you are referring to is reel carryover, no real big issue. With the reel type that a MacDon uses, in which the individual bats rotate fully as they go around, when used with pickup teeth as this one is crop can sometimes be grabbed and carried over, thrown onto the uncut crop. Typically seen either in high volume or fluffy crops that ride that draper belt pretty high and make contact with the reel teeth in orbit, or in crop that is standing somewhat crooked, allowing it to hook into the teeth and take another trip around. Its been my experience that it is no big deal, the crop seems to always land on top of standing crops and not shatter out, not driven into the ground and unrecoverable. A pickup reel with the orbit in which the bats stay essentially vertical all the time, such as a 1010/1020, rarely sees this issue in small grains, any carryover generally is mostly vertical and doesn't get thrown forward.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fantastic pictures of a Hillco system. Now I know why you boys out there need them in those conditions.
Tires look low and wide. What size are they on the front duals? Look like maybe 38's

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:Question - how did the 8010 handle the hills? Did you have to shift down at all?
Was this equipt with the auto header hight or did you have something else that enabled the head handle the hills??

Hey Westcoast! Handled the hills just fine....in extreme
conditions (IE heading down something really steep) it
is WAY better to shift down early, so yup, she got shifted down (same thing for a nasty steep climb)
That being said...seemed to have plenty of power.
No auto header hight control......still tending header the
old fashioned way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:Fantastic pictures of a Hillco system. Now I know why you boys out there need them in those conditions.
Tires look low and wide. What size are they on the front duals? Look like maybe 38's

Redhat: Can't remember the size on the drivers...
you are right low & wide......'spensive too! One of these
days our ace 8010 jockey ( AKA Steep on this board)
will wander in here; I know he can tell you more about the tires. My job during harvest is to keep the 1670 OUT
of his way & snap a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The next morning.......in the background is the stubble on one of the ridges that form the cove
seen in the posts above......and behind that in the far background is The Dalles Dam & the
Columbia River......one of my favorite spots on the whole ranch....and it really pumps out the
wheat too!!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:Why the mirrors on the end of the header?
Yo 8950! The mirrors are there to give the operator
a peek at the side of the machine and the rear tires...
the plan is to spot trouble before it starts. Here is a shot from inside the cab....you can see the RH mirror
at the end of the platform...as you can see, a little
multi-tasking going on here;steering, tending the header & answering a call on the FM band. Gets really
hairy when his FM, CB band & Cell all go off at once. Might have to start packing a radio operator in the buddy seat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:Fantastic pictures of a Hillco system. Now I know why you boys out there need them in those conditions.
650/75R32 drivers low and wide is right

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry if you've already covered this.
Is that the flex MacDon header?
Do you use any auto-header controls to run the platform?
How about the field-tracker on the feeder throat, is that used at all?
Do you run the tires "down" on the platform or are they just used to keep the header from bottoming out?
TIA

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:Sorry if you've already covered this.
Is that the flex MacDon header?
Do you use any auto-header controls to run the platform?
How about the field-tracker on the feeder throat, is that used at all?
Do you run the tires "down" on the platform or are they just used to keep the header from bottoming out?
TIA

Hey there Midwest! Yup, she's a MacDon with a coat of
red paint....a 2062 36 foot flex draper header...no auto
header control yet....ditto the field tracker. A shot of the
8010 at the upper end of the cove.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts