The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the combine today for about 10 acres. Kept counting around 20 kernels per foot on the ground behind the sieves. nothing to speak of outside the the sieve area. Great yield around 80 bushel. Heavy straw is good thrashing wheat. Around 17% moisture. The srtaw is ripe though. Pretty sure it is rotor loss because I open the sieves all the way up and the kernel count didn't change. Rotor around 1050 to 1100. concaves are tight. I have it on 3 with the new 21version numbers. I tried speeding the rotor up to 1150. Tried the clearance at 2 then I started to smush kernels. How do I get rid of rotor loss?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I take it you have close wire concaves in the front 2 spots on both sides. After that we used slip wires. If not already put in 4 straight bars, and in the other straight bar locations put in 4 sets of spiked tooth rasp bars. You can also slow the vanes down to keep it in the cage.

These are just some suggestions. They worked for us. Good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you are not having trouble threshing I would slow the rotor down. Too high rotor speed and tight concaves can cause rotor loss. good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. When I was trying things I also did try slowing the rotor down too but that also didn't work. However I was also noticing a lot of vibration on the rotor. After further view the front bearing had 2 bolts missing and one bolt loose.
Put new bolts in and started the rotor up again and still vibrated. I installed new rasp bars in it over the winter. Yes the spiked and smooth are all evenly 180degree spaced. 2/3 of my rasps in the back are spiked. So I cleaned out behind the rasp bars and then balanced the rotor by welding weights and then added two straight bar rasps. I used to have 4 straights in there but I thought that that was taking a lot of power. Well tried it again and the machine is smooth and I got her down to about 5 kernels per foot over the sieve area. I think I will call it good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts