The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently running a 9600 and 9610 and looking at upgrading to one class8 combine. We are looking at an 08 8010 and 9870. Anyone out there run both of these machines have any advice. We grow wheat , soybeans, canola , edible beans and corn. I've done a fair bit of research and each of these machines seem to have good points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
not sure what area you are in but have an 8010 and father in law has 9870 neither are really satisified with machines both have down sides. On order for this season on my farm is a lexion dealer support here is great and feild comparisons against both could not smell where the cat pissed. i think with both deere and case they are over rated trying to do too much with such short rotors its all about the theshing and seperation before the can call it a class 8 machine. on top of that the lexion is much more efficient on fuel and grain loss if you havent looked at one yet you might want to look into it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Back to your two choices.... you are right... both have plus's..... 8010 has many mechanical plus's (more clean grain area) that you will really like.... and the deere will have a better tailing system...

which has the better dealer in your area? and how do prices compare?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Second that. Both of these combines are going to fall short in most areas compared to a Lexion - the tougher the conditions, the more of an advantage the Lex is going to have, particularly in overall threshing/separation area - the Lexion is going to have nearly double the amount of internal processor area of the other two. But... since you didn't include the Lex in the original question, I'm going to assume that you have no local dealer and aren't comfortable considering one without one, or some other very good reason because a Lexion is considerably more combine than either a 9870 or 8010. Now that said, given only the two machines in question, an 8010 would be my choice over a 9870 for your crops.

·
Registered
103 Posts
we have run both 9870 and 8010 side by side for two seasons and have found the 8010 to be a tougher machine. The 8010 is ussually faster. When you plug your header the deere always idles down to reverse. It takes about 5 minutes to get going and the case is about 30 seconds. The deere rotor doesn't plug to quick but when it does you wished you we're running the 8010. That said I don't think either one is a bad choice but I do like the case better. The cab is quieter and the monitor is nicer. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why? Given proper care, there is no reason why a Lex is any less reliable than the other two - in fact it can be moreso as the machine has better long-term durability of its major components. The Lexion does have a greater number of serviceable points (greaseable bearings) than the other two but as long as one can keep these greased, they will reward you with longer service life than a sealed bearing. So in the right hands it can be a good thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only Cat dealer I have is about 1 and a half hours away. I have also heard they have a tougher timedoing a good job in edible beans so I have narrowed it down to the other two who both have a good dealer network nearby.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have always wondered why everyone always drags lexions into conversations that do not concern them. they are great combines no doubt about that but eveyone doesnt have a dealer close and not everyone wants to give an extra 50,000 for a combine. back to topic, our 8010 is nice quite ride with a big cab, lota power, fast header hookup and is a mechanicial combine which will usually make it last longer but then agian it needs to unload faster is the only downfal they have in my opinion. just my opinion

my bad relised that it said since it doesnt include lexions but still wonder why in other topics y they always drag them in. Owell

·
Registered
894 Posts
I paid more for my LEXION because I do not like grain loss and I do not like Mother Nature dictating to me when I am going to harvest when conditions are tough. I also do not want to compromise grain quality when harvesting extremely tough crop, which I can do with LEXION. I did pay more for the LEXION, but my competitive axial rotor combine was losing more (uncontrollably) than what the price difference (and I got tracks too).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I don't think the 475 modles helped on reputation (I believe that was the number) guy had 5 of them and only could use 4 of them. Always takeing parts off it... I think main concern is dealers... If we ever looked at another machine easily it would be a lex... Just need to get a indiana dealer. That's a ways away

·
Registered
22 Posts
not sure what you mean by the 8010 being simpler but if your talking about the hydrolics being simple forget it i had my 8010 for 2 year and at 800 hrs had to rebuild both hydro pumps both rotor and drive pump do to low control pressure not a user friendly fix it yourself i'll take the more belt and pullies of the lexion anyday and nothing is more efficent than a pulley and belt system and simple to replace. as far as the price i am going down a class size and still walking over the 9870 and 8010 and the base machine compared to a 9770 is 25,000 less and thats not counting putting the hillco on the deere to compete with the 20 degree of slope the lexion will do and 20,000 less than the case 70 series and their so call self leveling sieve that only throws the grain to the side the rotor is spinning on our hills you can run 5mph in 200 bu corn 8row and 2mph coming back the other way not very efficent if you ask me look deeper into color change its only an hour and a half away and they offer an on the farm parts box that you can store whatever parts you want to have at arms reach when and if you'll ever need

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information although only two posts actually spoke to the question I asked. I know the cat is a good combine but I know that if I breakdown and their service trucks are all busy and the nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away I will not be getting service quickly or another combine for that matter. I have about 6 deere dealers within a half hour and 3 ih dealers . I know they both have combines on hand in case of a breakdown. That is why I am looking at these two combines and asking for peoples experiences. If any one else has any more info on the 9870 and 8010 please post.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well I have ran 8010s and a 9120 and I really like the features the combines have, nice cab, easy to service, etc. The problem I had with these machines is that they spend way too much time sitting in the field with something broke. All the 8010s and the 9120 had problems that could not be fixed during their first year of operation. Each one had its own unique problems, each different model year had a different set problems. The dealer went above and beyond trying to figure out how to fix the problems. Bottom line this fall I will be running a John Deere. It was a hard decision because I really had great dealer support and liked the combines, but my friend's John Deeres gave him a fraction of the problems.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We run 6 Lexions for years which are 3 to 8 years old.... last seasons breakdown time was maybe 10hours for all 6 combines. Its all about maintainance... The 2 oldest combines. Lexion 440 and Lexion 480 didnt have a single breakdown the whole season. Except 2 fingers and blades in the header which hit a rock there was nothing... no bearing, no belt... nothing.

The reliabiltiy of all JD combines we ran (911, 2 CTS, 2058, 2266) was a joke compared to the Lex. We never ran Case, so I wont say something about it...

And ever farmer should be a mechanic in some way

Ofcourse we change some parts before the season...This year we might put 2000€ in each 8 years old machine. The newer Lexion 600s cuase less costs of course.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I just traded a 2004 8010 for a 2008 8010 with half the hours.......
I too hope I made the right move......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ended up buying low hour 2008 8010. I guess I'll find out in fall if it was a good move. Most of the guys who have this machine in the area are happy with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts