The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've done about 4 days with a new to us 8010 so still learning. Was straight cutting oats where some of the straw was green and plugged the rotor once in 160 ac. Had to drop concaves and pull out straw to get it going. Now we've done a 1/4 of canola and plugged the rotor 4 or 5 times. 50 bus canola with a few piles in the swath. It seems to me that this is plugging the rotor too often. In the canola it was fairly easy to deslug. Because you can reverse the rotor to deslug do they have the rotor drive set so that it stops before a certain point. Is this something that could be out of adjustment? TIA

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not sure if there is a problem with the rotor, but as far as unplugging. Are you dropping the concaves all the way? Also, are you shifting the rotor into low to deslug and unplug? I also like to drop the chopper knives when unplugging. In canola I run my concaves at 10 and have not plugged so far this year, but don't have a lot of muskrat huts. Some years I do and if they have had a lot of rain on them and sat awhile the bottom usually stays very wet and can cause problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugging

Combine clinic I was at the guy said not to drop the concaves too far when deslugging because then they're lower than the back modules. Not sure how sure how low to go. Ill try going with wider concave clearance. I was just going with the default setting of about 6.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You might have concaves too wide and material cant get through fast enough and in deslug mode I like too run feeder backwards too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
when your rotor is running check to see what the rotor motor speed is on your monitor (1000-4000 ish), if it says zero, there could be a sensor issue causing it to kick out or andissue with the motor itself.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
One idea is to hit the header kill switch when your thinking the rotor could choke out, it seams to give the extra power needed to prevent rotor choke 9 out of ten times

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Try to Open concave another few notches and or speed up rotor a bit. Canola, under the right dry conditions, will mostly thrash in the feeder chain area. If you do plug, be sure your engine is wide open throttle in deslug mode. Internal chopper has to be going fast or the plug wad has no place to go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
when your rotor is running check to see what the rotor motor speed is on your monitor (1000-4000 ish), if it says zero, there could be a sensor issue causing it to kick out or andissue with the motor itself.
Rotor motor speed is not the same as rotor speed. Rotor motor speed varies greatly and even reads a - number at some points given different conditions on what speed the rotor is turning

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also combining oats and we plug up often with a 8230 and the 7120.
I tried only opening concaves to 35 as they say in combine clinic but it wouldn't deslug! So I open them fully and run the risk of a break, but it deslug much better with them fully open. We also shift into gear 1 to help it out.
Dropping the concaves = grumpy husband
I opened my concave setting to 19 in the wet straw seems to help.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts