The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started combing today with ou new used 06 8010. Wheat is running in the 70-75 bu/ac. going anywhere from4 to 5.2 and it seems to really have power loss at times. Then warning came on that it started to heat up it got into the yellow so I stopped and let it cool for awhile. Seems like when the temp gets close to over heating that it losses its power. Anybody know of any issues or how to fix the issues. Thanks. Only did about 40 acres today. radiator didn't seem to have much in them but I will blow them out for sure before we start again tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's the "power derate" feature of an 8010 engine. When the coolant reaches a certain temp.(215 degrees if I remember right), it will start cutting back the fuel rate in an effort to get the engine to cool down. If the coolant temp goes down, you will get full power again. If it stays up, it will continue to run at a reduced HP setting. You will eliminate your HP problem when you eliminate your over heating problem.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A small number of 2006 machines had a cooling system contamination problem from the factory that could cause thermostats to stick open or closed. Required flushing the system and replacing the thermostats and coolant. Have your dealer check s/n of your machine to see if it has potential problem if cleaning the coolers out doesn't solve your problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't combined since that day it heated up due to rain. However I did learn that I had the combine on the boost feature so I was running it a little hard, the dealership we bought it from didn't have the rads blown out from last years bean harvest, and I was cutting some pretty green straw on a 95 degree humid day. So with freshly blown rads and the engine set to power rise and hopefully a little less green straw we'll see what she does tomorrow. Thanks for the tips so far, I'll be sure to fill you in on what happens.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for the update. We have alot of guys that run the 8010 on boost around here in corn/soybeans but not in that kind of heat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, blown rads and not on boost and less green straw she never over heated. However I still have power issues. The custom boys showed up today with their 9760 and 36ft draper head and they went the same speed as I did all day! They didn't throw anything over and it was as clean as mine was. I couldn't push mine any harder either. The 8010 either couldn't take it into the feeder fast enough or pulled the rotor and engine way down. The 8010 should beat an 9760. The 9760 is not turned up and it does not have the JD bullet rotor. Need suggestions

·
Registered
809 Posts
I really don't know much about an 8010 in wheat.

You're doing about 20 acres/hr at that speed.

If you really want more power you could try switching back to the power boost mode. You'd see if it was the dirty radiator or if it was running it in boost mode that was over heating your engine.

In the power mode you're in now, what is the % of power showing in the monitor when you are running it hard?

How do you like the Macdon? Is it a flex draper?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The % power is 95 to 104. The Macdon is pretty good. I think JD probably has a better draper though. It seems to feed a little better than my Mac does. In beans though the Mac cuts as closer than anything you can find!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts