The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,
We ran our new '08 8010 for the first time in december & found too much rotor loss. I was told the extra set of rice bars or notched bars would help. Has anyone had this problem & does it help? Our seeding rates are quite heavy 120kgs/hectare which equates to lots of straw[when it rains!] to separate from the grain. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
When you say rotor loss, are you going by the loss monitor in the cab or actually looking on the ground and seeing the kernals on the ground. 8010's loss meter sensitivity from factory is set way too high and needs to be backed off to get an accurate reading.
If the fan is set too high (over 900 rpm) it will blow grain into the discharge straw (over the sieve loss sensors) and you will think the loss is from the rotor because it will not show on the sieve loss monitor.
What front and rear elements are you running and what rotor rpm? Which rotor? What sieves in the top and bottom? How big a front on the combine, ground speed, and what is the yield?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
gee i thought some of you red boys would be all over this as your pretty quick to offer (cough, ahem) "advice" on other forums when guys are having trouble with their combines.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As soon as we get some details about how the combine was setup and make sure it was rotor loss, this guy will have more "advice" thrown at him than he knows what to do with.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ya Wats up with you super techs? this thread is already five days old and only four replies? you seem to know more about the competitors machines than you own beloved brand

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Being from south Australia I doubt the straw is as tough and as heavy as we are used to. I could be wrong but it's more likely to much dry material getting to the chaffer and that's where the losses are coming from. I don't even run red but who knows what it is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry guys , first chance i've had to check my settings, horrible memory, havent touched it since last november, afx rotor, 8 spiked bars back 2 sections, set monitors less sensitive, checked loss on ground, generally fan was 900rpm but did go lower, 36-40 bu crop, approx 6mph, started with standard small wire concaves, went large wire first & second sections,upper seive 25, lower 5, rotor speed 1000-1100, 40ft flex draper, concave 3-4, cant think of anything else, obviously different countries, different conditions, been running gleaners for 26yrs, just a bit different to set up, changed from spreading straw to windrowing straw to see if grain stream on ground changed, appeared like it was rotor loss, only got it 3/4 way thru harvest so didnt get a real chance to play with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
appreciate that mbfarmer, just didnt have enough acres on the last to really play with settings, will take on any advice for next harvest

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
we run a 7010 2007 with 36ft draper front and a 2388 with same front differnent in Aussie but we run 980 rpm on the rotor 930 - 950 on the fan and all lage wire concaves. it probly wont work for you different country and all but thats what we do. thats with about 12 to 15 KM/h ground speed. 7010 great machine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cazooch,

normally we have a lot of straw to go through the machine too, and it is normaly far away from being dry.
We solved the problem the following way:

Put a large wire concave second in the seperation area, followed by a keystock in first seperation area followed by a slottet grates at last. Vanes in the middle, getting faster at the end of the rotor.
Rotor should be at 900 to 950 rpm, fan around 900, sieves as far open that you wont loose any kernels.

Good luck

TOM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts