The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is starter 24 volt?--the relay makes a loud clicking noise when you try to start combine but starter doesnt engage--im getting 24 volts up at starter--batteries are good--cleaned posts etc -- even barred engine abit to make sure starter wasnt jammed--starter was working fine thats why i didnt thinki anything was wrong with it-- thks ray

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thks i tried that--the one battery dropped to 11.5 volts and the other stayed at around 12--i load tested both of them and they stayed at around 375 amps and more than 9.6 volts for at least 15 seconds

·
Registered
255 Posts
Could try a set of jumper leads but be very carefull how you hook them up.
Operators manual may help. I can't help there.
They are a mongrel system too many things to go wrong.There a plenty of much bigger engines started with a 12 volt starter.
John Deere used it on the last of the twin bangers some trucks tried it nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Theres a fuse on that 12/24 starter relay behind the chopper pulley that will cause the starter to act like your describing. Ive never "blown" one of them but have had several crack and loose contact that was caused by vibration from a missing chopper blade. if you find yours is cracked, CHECH YOUR CHOPPER... Hope that helps!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres a fuse on that 12/24 starter relay behind the chopper pulley that will cause the starter to act like your describing. Ive never "blown" one of them but have had several crack and loose contact that was caused by vibration from a missing chopper blade. if you find yours is cracked, CHECH YOUR CHOPPER... Hope that helps!
hey thanks- checked it out like you said and fuse was blown- soldered it back together and combine cranked over fine-- i think i must have shorted something out when i was trying to get the starter to engage--i didnt immediately realize it was a 24 volt starter--picked up new fuse and life is good thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.