The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
I am from Australia and drive a 8010 for the family farm here & do some contracting too. Just would like to find anyone who has got more ground speed in 4th gear. Over here we can get 34 km/hr but have been told that they have a 40 km/hr gear box in them. No case reps will help us out so we are having to do it ourselves, if anyone knows something that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drove an early #58 CR970 that hit the 20 mph max limit that the early ones had with no problem. I have also seen with the newer software a CR940 with planetaries do 21.5 mph. also know of a CR940 (bull gear) that does 22.5mph and a CR960 (bull gear) that will only run 19.5-20mph tops. It seems to me to be a difference in the potentiometer in the multifunction handle. When you do a MFH calibration some of the combines will start to creep sooner than others. In other words the voltage out of one MFH starts to raise with less handle movement than on others. So the ones that the voltoutput goes higher on when the handle hits the end of the slot will go faster than those with lower volt outputs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wasn't trying to say that recalibrating the MFH would change the ground speed. I didn't think it sounded like I did.
What does happen though is that for instance that CR960 with the slower ground speed will always require approx half movement in the fwd direction before the combine monitor gives you the message to stop moving the handle. The CR940 with the faster ground speed will always reach this point in the calibration with the MFH at approx 1/4 fwd. So it would seem that the MFH pot in the 960 is requiring a further movement to reach the volt point needed to begin. If thats the case then at full movement the volt output of the pot is likely higher on the CR940 MFH than on that CR960 MFH. If the volt signal is higher then the actuator in the hydro would move further at least untill hitting max speed limit. So it seems the CR960 is never reaching the max speed limit simply because the volt output of the MFH does not triger a far enough movement of the actuator in the hydrostat.
All 4 combines I mensioned had the same size drive tires. Both the 940 and 960 bull gear models were equipted the same.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You turn a knob on an electric switch. The combine won't shift untill you stop and pull the hydro lever to nuetral. Then it sets the park brake, shifts the trans, and then releases the park brake. The way the trans shifts is kind of neat. Instead of shift rails like we're uses to seeing comming out the side with a shift cable attached, they use a small gear turned by an electric motor to turn a big gear. The big gear has slots cut under it that the shift forks follow. So when the gear turns the forks slide moving the shift collars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
top speed of the nieghbours 8010 is about 11 km. but it has tracks! I have photos on photobucket but have yet to get them on here just have not mastered that yet probably have to get one of the kids to help me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts