The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at upgrading a combine and are trying to decide which direction to go. We currently run two JD walker combines, an 8820 and a 9610, and want to buy a used rotary combine and get rid of the 8820. What have you guys found to be the pros and cons of the 8010 and 9760 sts as far as capacity in corn and soybeans, and ease of maintenance/repair?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Farmerjones sounds like some of your problems could be solved with updates. Feederhouse plugging solved with the new style feeder drive clutch, filter and radiator problems solved at least radiator with new air intake housing. I had problems with feederhouse chain jumping sprocket, but come to realize it was happening when I was reversing feederhouse, have not plugged feederhouse since they installed new drive nor jumped a sprocket. All these updates were done 1 year ago on wheat harvest in Highmore SD. The pro 600 is easily turned to reduce glare. I have ran with 9750's, 9760's and a 9860 with my 2388 horsepower was usually my limiting factor. But when I switched to the 7010 that was no longer a problem. In wheat and soybeans in tough conditions the 7010 would hold its own.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
8010's pita for feeder chains, 06 and newer machines had lots of upgrades older machines didn't have, 8120's and 9120's yes there was some slight updates, more for feeder, tensioner is one that comes to mind, other than that control pressures have been fixed, scott.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i think you would be very happy with 8010 they are a very good machine and will eat alot crops. dont know what kind of crops you are doing but for corn and beans they are a good machine. as always everyone has there own opinions and likes but we ran deere for many years 3-9600 9650 sts they were good machines also but we went red and probably won't go back . dealer support means alot if you don't have a good red dealer in your area you maybe better staying green. if your red dealer gives you good service it would be worth trying a 8010 they are good machines also. good luck on whichever way you go

·
Registered
998 Posts
On the features side of these two machines you cannot compare. The STS in my opinion is more comparable to the 88 series if you want to talk about the drives of a machine. Anyone disagree (apart from hp)?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You mean to say all that hot air we heard last year about the 7010 NEVER making the wheat run again...was just BS? I'm not surprised in the least.

edit: as far as resale is concerned, I saw 9660s with 1300 seperator hours go for mid 80s a couple weeks ago. Just sayin.

·
Registered
657 Posts
farmerjones: what year 7010 did you have? we had a neighbor that had one and was not real happy either seemed like alot of little problems. i dont know why the 7010 seemed to have so much troubles as the 8010s in our area have been working very well. and yes everyone has different experience no matter what brand you run we always joke and say that one must have been built on a friday and the workers must have been in a hurry to go home for the weekend. they are all good machines no matter what color but some always seem to have there faults. hope you have a safe and good harvest

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will say that i agree with this 100 %. The only difference being i run an 05 8010 with a 9770. Not saying the 8010 is a bad machine, just way to many little issues that turn into lost time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
farmerjones: it is to bad they did not take care of the problems. that is probablywhy you have such a sour taste for for them. i cant say i dont blame you i guess we are very lucky to have such a great dealer to work with. sorry to hear about your bad luck with the red machine maybe if you had a better dealer things would have been different. well good luck this fall hope things go good for you and be safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts