The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 8120 with 36' macdon first day in wheat and it won't feed right, if I push it a little the feeder plugs, also seems pretty noisy from the feeder. Could only do about 2.5 mph the machine could take alot more but the feeder gives up. We set the front drum in different positions but it didnt help. called dealer theyre gonna look in the AM. He said another guys having the same trouble. Any ideas?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Doe you have combine with variable speed feeder? also does it has stone trap? Sounds strange for me siems like some problem with settings or interference with header. Newer heard about any thing like this
at least not in Europe

·
Registered
178 Posts
had my 8120 in sorghum doing 15.5 km/h 7t/h with the 40ft case/macdon could hav took more but was as fast as it would go in 3rd gear

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the answer for you but I have a 35'macdon on a 2388 and at times we plug the feeder also and it does get frustrating. There is a kit to put auger extensions on the little center auger on the header(I'm ordering it for mine). It's recomended for the smaller feeder houses to aid in feeding, if it works for them it might just help the bigger machines too. I had a 1020 head without them and one with them and I think the one with the auger extentions didn't plug the feeder as often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Midwest, I do have a rock trap, header is a 974 flex draper 2005 model, I'm in ND and we're just getting started , I'm on a neighbors winter wheat, a lot of straw but its dry, the feeder does not really plug but disengages as soon as it loses a little rpm. I traded from a2388 so am not very familiar with this machine. the book says the cutout can be overidden ? can the slip clutch be adjusted? dealer thought maybe go to serrated bars on the rock trap beater. I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
961 Posts
have been disappointed with deere's lack of cleaning area lately compared to the others but then i look at how reliable they are and remember why we run them
hows the harvest goin, farmerjones?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Bal65, give us all the info about your setup and conditions that you can.
Does your combine have a rock trap in it?
Is the feeder plugging or is the feeder just stopping under load?
Is there a lot of stuff coming around the feeder chain on the top side?
What model draper are you running?
Is the straw green and damp?
Are you on a custom run?
Is your dealer clueless?
They've always had kind of a loud feeder when running empty. I think they tried to solve this with the spring setup they went to in 2008.

I've said this before about this situation. I guess CIH isn't used to building a wide feeder house. Every year they come out with a new design.

Edit note: I did tone my post down a little bit.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I was going to say the first they our deal does it turn off that feederhouse deal on the 2388.s if he wants red maybe try a 7088.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Early 8120's with rocktraps have a 1000 rpm rocktrap beater speed setup and in certain conditions will not feed like 700 rpm 8010's. Don't know why the change was made? Have not found a CNH guy that knows the answer to that question so I think whoever decided this doesn't work for them anymore.
Make your dealer aware of your problem, they can check which setup yours has and take appropriate action. You may need to get back to the 700 rpm setup if it is 1000rpm, I hear the entire gearbox is different.
Another thing, your draper conveyor speed setting can do the similar thing if set too slow. Large volume crops like wheat and others require faster speeds than soybeans so try speeding up the conveyor. General rule is if the reel starts to push the crop up/lift off the conveyor as it comes to the center it is running too slow.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We demo'd a 9120 last year and same problem. Feeder stopping, jumping the chain off the guides, slipping the chain. Harvested 60 acres with it in a day and a half. Harvested 700 acres in the same time with our two combines. They really need to get the problem fixed. If they do it will really help with sales and customer satisfaction. Seems to be more of a problem up north here where straw is heavier and usually tougher. So I'm told.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
no rock trap no rocks no wheat no problem. if you these these feeders are bad you should of had one in 04. sounds like the rock trap is keeping it from the rotor. is their a serrated bar for the rock trap? don't have one never will

·
Registered
116 Posts
The varifeed header in shaulinis video is/was new holland and was made to fit that elevator.can see the reel stops are still yellow and fingers are yellow under the red.

They are a very good header in my opinion we have one on our 2388 and is much better than previous one. Being able alter distance between knife and the auger allows perfect feeding.
Our crops nearlly always feed well in one direction now when we turn round just alter thr knife a couple of inches and it will feed perfect that way too.

It is made for the wide feeder though and I think it would be even better on its original elevator.

Perhaps this is the problem a bad match of header and elevator giving poor uneven feeding leading to poor theshing poor sample, poor output.

I tell people they should have invented this header 50 years ago and saved me a lot of problems over the years.

Once you get an even feed other problems disappear and you just push the hdro lever forward.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts