The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at purchasing a new or used 8120. Just wondering what options to look for (ie: rotor type, chopper, etc.) and what operators opinions where after running them (good and bad). We farm in NW sask and grow canola, HRSW, and peas.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would stay with the AFX rotor.
Fine cut chopper (56 knifes) unless you want to chop really fine then the magna chopper (128 knifes) , but takes mucho power or the standard chopper (28 knifes) if you only need to chop some.

Tires would be 900 metrics front. Michelin if you can afford it other wise firestone. Unless you need duals.
Six lamp HID lights
Heavy lift feederhouse package for 40'+ headers
Rock trap
Longest auger possible
looking to map? autosteer with best reciever
Power mirrors nice feature.

I am sure some can add more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you cant go wrong with an 8120. i ran em last year on a crew in wheat, beans, corn, and milo. I was always surprised with what they could handle, as i tend to run em pretty hard, ha. The cabs are great. Very roomy, can comfortably run all day long, day after day

Don't really have anything negative to say or things to watch out for. I really did like the 900 tires, although the duals are a bit better in the mud, better bite. If you're running a 40+ foot header, the heavy lift feederhouse would be nice. we ran 40 footers and they would lift them fine, but with an extra couple hundred pounds it really couldnt.
also, reversing feederhouse and rotor, incab controls of sieve adjustments. they might be standard on the 20 series, not sure, but they sure are nice

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had very few issues with our 8120 in 2009, great machine. We have the ST rotor, worked great in wheat, dry edible beans, and sunflowers. In corn it was harder to keep rotor losses down as compared to the AFX rotor, sample also had more broken pieces of cob, still good sample though. May go back to AFX rotor if still have those problems in 2010. Be sure to get extended wear package, greatly increases life of machine. We like dual tires, more stability and doesn't run on rows. We order the longest unloading tube available. Would like to try a chip next year for a little more hp. Can't go wrong with this combine. Lots of capacity, good job and very comfortable cab. The spring tension on feeder house chain worked great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. Salesman are pushing the late model 8010's as their lots are sitting full of them. Not really sure what to do now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Cant go wrong with a late model 8010 either. I have an 2004 8010 and really like it. I wondnt look at any other machine now that I am used to this one. Best cab on the market, reversing the rotor is a very good thing in heavy crops. The early 8010s had there problems but I think they got that pretty much figured out by now.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts