The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm in the market for a used 8120, and the three I'm looking at each have different rotors. One has a large tube, one has a small tube, and the other has a rice rotor. Thoughts on which is best? We live in SE Saskatchewan, and grow oats, wheat and canola.

·
Registered
155 Posts
From what I've been told. Large tube thrashes better than small tube in conditions where the grain is hard to thrash out of the head. Small tube works better in damp conditions or viney crops. Like canola or peas. Neighbor has a 7010 with small tube w/ 35' header and a 8120 w/ large tube and a 40'. Says dry conditions 8120 is 1 mph faster. Tough conditions travel same speed if not little faster in 7010. Not sure about rice rotor

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have run a 7120 for 3 years with a ST, which we have now changed for an AFX (ie large tube). Have no idea how my conditions compare to yours but we can get tough good crops or brittle poor crops..... I found the ST to be good capacity and sample wise (except on corn...), however it was too hard on straw, which my clients often want. Sometimes it would absolutely pulverise straw and no matter what we changed on settings or hardware nothing made a noticeable improvement.

The other problem relating to this was when it smashed the straw, rotor capacity was restricted because it wasn't able to separate grain out of the short straw as well. We finished the last summer harvest down here with the AFX and it was big improvement on straw quality and that was on the same fields the ST smashed straw it two weeks prior. It seems we may use a little more diesel now though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.