The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combining lentils today. Got low speed spreader alarm. Stopped. Motors that drive spreaders were still making noise even though disengaged. Slight hum/whine. Cleared plug and spun spreader by hand. Would move forward alright noise improved but loved rough but would lock up and almost gribd to quick stop when spun backwards. Spinning one spreader forward spun both for about 2 rotations. Then everything loosened up. Both spreaders Spun freely forward and back. Also independently from other side now. Fired seperator up. Still no spreader speed and visual confirmed no spin. Dad said spreader spun maybe 1/4 turn then stopped and almost pulsed for second. Acted same way again even though no straw to plug it. Repeated again. Same result. Spreader motors piled up? Also now when start up combine getting windrow position alarm. Not sure if related or separate problem. Sorry about long post and late. **** family visiting wrong time of year. Lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Works intermittently now. Undo connector on wiring and reconnect while combine shut off and get spreaders spinning free. Restart. Usually works for a bit then same problem. Connector pin causing problem? Need to bypass connector with wire?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
You can't short across the sensor wires to bypass the sensor. They don't work that way. I'm not really sure how to bypass them. The way they work is 12V comes down the one wire and goes through the sensor back to ground. The computer reads the current. A slight current means no metal is in front of the sensor. Zero current means there is metal in front of the sensor. I can't remember off hand but you might be able to get diagnostics to show you current instead of voltage. The current should be relatively steady in the "open" state and close to zero in the "closed" state.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for help. Not trying to bypass sensor. Although I'd like to know how. Stupid to jot be able to bypass computer and run manually. Almost ridiculous I'd say. But just trying to bypass wolirung harness connectors in back end. Hopefully cheaper than replacing harness and check another possibility off the list

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't short across the sensor wires to bypass the sensor. They don't work that way. I'm not really sure how to bypass them. The way they work is 12V comes down the one wire and goes through the sensor back to ground. The computer reads the current. A slight current means no metal is in front of the sensor. Zero current means there is metal in front of the sensor. I can't remember off hand but you might be able to get diagnostics to show you current instead of voltage. The current should be relatively steady in the "open" state and close to zero in the "closed" state.
Ya makes senses was explained bi metal strip with different conductivity. Senses different voltage reading bases on where reading off of strip. Monitor shows within 2 blue bar range on diagnostic but doesn't hold a steady reading like other sensor

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally found way to bypass sensor. Beauty of it is. Only cost $.05. Took some tape and a nickel and shorted out spreader sensor. Ignored warning on monitor and up and running again. Nothing better. Haha. Other than no issue in first place

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Just taped the nickel over the end of the sensor, right? Anything metal works.

Just occurred to me that another possible cause of the original problem might be that the clearance between the sensor and the arm that swings down with the spreaders might not have been quite close enough. I think the sensor has to come within 1/8" of the metal to sense it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info. Seems like bad connection in wiring harness. Sometimes playing with that gets it running again. Going to try patching past in few days. See if that works. For now running with my nickel. Seems funny you can't bypass sensor from monitor. Annoying when little things like this slows a person up. Shows proper volts when working then when spreaders stop notice voltage jumps up 1v. And changes from a steady voltage to one that is constantly varying

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.