The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dealer has offered us a potential deal. Take our 1998 JD 9610 w/36' Honeybee and our 2007 CIH 2588 wih 36' 974 on trade for a 2010 CIH 8120 with FD70 45'.

We harvest 7000 acres of dryland in WC Saskatchewan. Durum, peas, lentils, canaryseed, canola are our main crops. Average yeild for most of the crops is around 30-35 bu/acre, but can (and will) sway to higher and lower extremes depending on year.

Would you consider this machine capable of handling these acres? Our current machines are very capable of taking it off in a timely manner for comparison, but the JD is starting to show its age and this looks to be a good way out of it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't see why not. Depends on what your timely manner is now. That combine and header is capable of 200-300+ acres a day with a grain cart. Logistics come in to play with 300 acres a day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think that an 8120 in good conditions should be cabable of 300 acres a day if u have a grain cart and plenty of trucks but yet again i dont think that 1 combine could ever replace 2 but yet again at 200 to 300 acres a day u could still finish in atleast a month or so and yet agina depends on how long u have to get it off

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally I say no. Saskatchewan weather can change in a heart beat. I know a guy up my way that has 3- 9120's and he only did 3,000/machine this year, and a lot come of wet and tough.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also only have 1 machine to maintain and one less person needed. That 45fter will chew through a crop in no time. I have a pretty good idea what the weather is like up that way and 1 in 3 years maybe u need to hire someone to help out, still money ahead with 1 machine.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our harvest typically runs from August 1 to the start of October. As any farmer knows days, weeks and months can be lost at harvest due to inclimate weather, but in general that is our harvest window.

I think the key to this working will be the harvest spread in the crops we grow. Harvest dates for our pulses are usually in August and the cereals in September, with canola somewhere in the middle. Its not uncommon where we are sitting for one or two weeks with nothing ready to go because of that spread. Just to give you guys an idea of what we deal with.

We currently do not run a grain cart and generally just dump at the end of the field into the semi or tandems, and I agree a cart will be a must. I like this idea though for a few reasons, better combine utilization, using a normally parked tractor for another purpose, and the potential elimination of using tandems at harvest.

Our average acres in 2009 with the two machines was 250/day in 50 bushel durum. Slightly higher in pulse crops. If we can pull 250/day out of a 8120 in the same conditions this should be doable.

Experienced combine pilots are getting harder and harder to come by, espeically as these machines get more technology. The older guys we employed in the past don't even want to run them as they find them confusing and they don't seem willing to learn, so I think this may be a step in the right direction by eliminating the second combine. I would think a tractor and grain cart should be managable by our less experienced helpers.

I realize that if this machine goes down, harvest stops, but we have an exceptional CIH dealer and in past years they have always had another machine ready to roll if needed, as well as a good parts inventory on hand.

Oh and ironseller, I have yet to see ANY trade and deal work out like that, maybe this will be a first. But I doubt it.

Thanks guys, I think this might work for us. Feel free to add anything else.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are several things to take into account here the first is with a 45' head you may have to take it off every time you need to move to a new field this is more time taken out of your day. Also will you use your header to cut evry acre you have or do you swath some becuse if you swath somw I doubt that you will get 300 acres a day. I doubt you will average 300 acres a day from start to finish if you do you will still need to 24 days to get your harvest done. A neighbour of mine in eastern Sask has 7 9120's and he farms around 27,000 acres has an excellent grain handling and drying setup so you do the math. Personally I think your salesman is on glue you may get done with one combine but with the 2 machines your grain quality would be better and you would be done sooner.
Fgure it out to combine 300 acres a day you have to harvest 20 acres per hour for 15 hours a day. So if you can start at 10:00 AM you would have to harvest continually until 1:00 AM the next day this is not allowing time for moving, stopping for fuel, bathroom breaks, moving augers when bin is full, also you better have a cart and not stop to unload even once durng the day. Now if you can do all this you will get your 300 acres in a day but you will have to do this for 23 more days to finish your 7000 acres

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those types of conditions are rare and infrequent for us on the 'desert' side of SK. About 1 year in 10 if memory serves me right. If we were plagued with a fall like you guys had in 2009 then I think we would buy a temporary second machine, rent a machine or hire some acres out. I know exactly what you mean though, but weather like that is more of a 'what if' for us and I think can be dealt with on a yearly basis as it is not anywhere near normal. Thanks for the comment, will keep it in mind.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very good points pureel.

We have a few neighbors with 45' heads, and they never take them off to move. We don't have many obstacles other then the odd stop sign to avoid and fairly flat terrain.

We only swath canola now, and generally grow under 800 acres yearly, everything else is straight cut.

I see what your saying with your numbers, but I don't recall not ever having at least 30 days of good harvest weather every year, not in a row of course. At the same time I do not want to see us losing grain quality due to the fact that we can't get enough acres in the bin/day, but as long as we aren't doing any less then we are currently, it shouldn't be an issue as we haven't had any problems in past years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I farm in se sask and this year we traded 1of 2 2188 and 36 macdon on an 07 8010 and 40, d60. (one of pureel neighbors old combine) we covered 5600 acres this fall and in the end it was pretty much a 2/3 1/3 split on the acres covered. we harvested peas, barley,canola, wheat and oats. we do run a grain cart and 2 super b's. I'll park a combine before the cart gets shut down if short of people.
a couple of things i noticed when cutting peas on the ground at 7-8mph watching 40', theres alot going on and you do feel more worn a the end of day. autosteer is a must if running those long days. We had to put an extender on our auger for the 40' and it is still fairly close for comfort when unloading on the go, you don't want any rookies on either machine. We have the 21' auger with extender.
We did move most of the time down gravel roads with the header on. traffic sees you coming and usually they get out of the way. small cars will fit under the header if need to(lol) RR crossing were the tricky ones, i had to wiggle through the ones that cross on the angle. The new macdons do unhook and transport considerally easier than the older series, and we pull the header with the combine so that saves an extra trip.
we also swath canola with a 39' header so we don't have to pick up at 9mph either.
Only other concern is are you ready to trade every 2-3yrs if putting that many acres on I almos guarantee you won't be running this machine 11 yrs from now.
fwiw I ran 1 day with my inlaws when we were done they were demoing a 580 lexion w/40 HB there auger was considerally longer than mine for unloading on the go
my 2cents
mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Going from 2 machines dumping at the end, to 1 bigger machine with a graincart wouldn't be that big a step back. The rest of your logistics are up for that.

·
Registered
894 Posts
"300 acres a day," are you serious? Even if they are able to harvest a full 10 hours within a working day, which I doubt, they would have to run at nearly 7 mph with the 8120 to achieve 300 acres within that 10 hour period (5.5 during a 12 hours). An 8120 may be a class 8, but it has the rotor of the 2388 and 2588 (even the same as a 1480) and likely isn't going to be set much differently than either one. With a 45' head, the 8120 is not going to be able to average 5-5.5 mph, even on a good day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Heck you can cut 300 acres a day with a 40' and a 8010, we did that on a pretty normal basis in lighter crops. We can cut 200 acres a day with our 2588 and 35' flex draper. As far as working 10 hours a day, what are u supposed to do with the other 14 hours in the day, sleep?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Will you be able to cram 45 ft of peas in the 54 inch feedhouse to keep the combine full? We had issues with a 39ft Hb with a pea auger (the split reel gave us trouble). Not sure about a macdon, though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes you can, and still be going 5+ in 30 bushel peas. It is when the peas get over 50 bushel that you will be slowing down. The bushy crop at 50+ bushels doesnt feed that well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
muddy the rotors may be similar but the concaves and horsepower are no comparison the 8120 with that head in those yields will mow it down at that speed no problem. That machine in optimal conditions, operator, cart and field could handle 300 acres granted you probably wont average that day in and day out but dont think they cant cover those acres on a good day. They are in a leauge of their own. I would make the trade and if in a bind hire someone to give you a hand, if you dont need help that puts you ahead. You would love the machine

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Which league is that?

redgreen, if you would consider a yellow machine, there is a 9070 at Arch Equipment in Outlook that has been sitting for 18 months I think. They might be thinking its time to move it. Its low hours, and a nice machine (but they wanted too much difference when we looked at it). But it comes down to dealer support, but you aren't too far from Robertson's (closer than us!).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts