The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about up dating our combines. the 8120 and the 9120 are the same machines except the 9120 has more power. Is it worth spending the extra money? Or can you get away with buying a 8120 then just install a power chip ?

Thanx Joe

·
Registered
277 Posts
if you are running a big chopping corn head or are planning on getting the magna-cut chopper you will like the power of the 9120. Not sure if you will have enough cooling to run a chipped 8120 hard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a guess but I don't think you will be needing a big chopping corn head hey Joe!? There are a few guys running 9120's around here but by the looks of the fields, they have the power to shove too much crop through that can't be efficiently separated. Who knows, maybe NONE of them can set the machine but I just can't see it. Running 36 ft. @ 6 mph in 45 bushel wheat is one thing, running that speed in 100 bushel barley or CPS wheat is another. The guys do it out here because they have the power but the fields are GREEN. The extra power sure doesn't hurt with tough or tons of straw.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you right farmerjon no corn this far north. We had really heavy wheat this year my 8010 seemed to have "FULL LOAD". Does the 9120 have more cooling then the 8120? If a chipped 8120 would not have enough cooling then how would a 9120 have enough? I know my 8010 just barely has enough cooling. Have to clean the rads every day.
Joe

·
Registered
277 Posts
9120 has the cursor 13 iveco, the 8120 and your old 8010 have the 10.3. Would think the 9120 has a bigger cooling system. You could do some checking to see if the 8120 has a bigger radiator then the 8010's had.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah that and there are a few things beefed up in strength on the 9120..

are the 8120's radiator/engine air filter staying cleaner?? i kinda like the 2388's and 6088 not haveing to do that kinda stuff..

·
Registered
273 Posts
You would think a 9120 with the jump in power and engine size would have more cooling capacity. Someone on here should know... What kinda price difference is there between the 8 and 9 with all the bells and whistles???

·
Registered
620 Posts
The radiator is different and from the looks of the online parts catalog the other coolers/air box are different also.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The combines as in the threshing, separating, & feeding are identical in every way on the 2010 models. The 9120s of the past have come std with the xtra fine cut chopper, now that is an available option on the 8120, but it takes alot of power. I just talked about this with my dealer, and from real world experience a chipped 8120 can put more product through than a 9120 but that does not take into account grain loss.

·
Registered
224 Posts
we have an 08 8010 and just chipped it with the steinbauer chip, works awesome. We no longer run out of power and the only thing holding it back is the feeder house. Have pondered a 9120 as well but am going to go with a 8120 and chip I can't see the sense in paying an extra 20 bills when the feedr house is the same and for us picking swaths that is the bottleneck. When they design a front end that can take it we'll consider one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts