The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the Mauer XL grain tank extension on our 8120, they say it'll hold 560bu and our dealer serviceman says the wheel bolts will break eventually with a full load. Heard from a friend that has it on his S680 says they weighed a full tank and came up with 558bu. Had to do just a little bit of modifying on ours. It really is pretty huge and looking forward to putting it to use by the end of the week on some soybeans. My suggestions if you get one, put it together on the ground and lift it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Definitely a lot of weight way up high! Definitely more than the combine was engineered to carry. And a hillside combine too! Be careful!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Seems sketchy to me. Best I can get is 330 bu in our 8120. Handies it like nothing's in it. With wheat that's 19800lbs. At 558 by that's 33480lb. Almost. 14,000 lb more on frame and axle. They beefed up new combines frame for bigger tank. Weighs. 5,000 lbs more to hold 410 bu. Take that as a sign old frame wasn't made for less weight than what your talking

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neighbor has one of these on his Lexion....snapped the final drive's off twice in a couple of weeks.... Sounds like you are happy with your purchase, but for the life of me I don't see why this is a good idea, especially on a side hill machine. I thought that's why we have grain carts, LOL. Hope you have good luck....a Deere has a welded axel, but you have just a few bolts holding yours on, seems like you are asking for trouble and putting a lot of faith into a few bolts! LOL.
Didn't know they made them for Lexion, only says JD Case IH and New Holland in the brochure, so just wondering if he had to modify like we did to get it to fit our 8120, cause they're made for the 8230 and 9230 models. With the Hillco leveling system we don't have the the stock CNH axle, Hillco makes their own to put under the machine both front and rear to allow it to lean on slopes. Its pretty beefy and was put on at Grand Island as it came down the line. The Hillco model is 2810H if ya want to look it up. Have had Hillco on our last 4 combines. I can add pics if anyone is interested.

Don't plan on having a full tank in our hills, but we are eastern Iowa so we have some good flat ground and some rows over half a mile, if the corn does 250bu/ac this year we'll make it to the end when cutting through the middle on half mile rows with a 12 row head.

The crazy thing is it'll only be 470lbs heavier when full than a full S680 with the JD 400bu grain tank (going off of compare specs website's numbers) not including a head.

All and all we think it'll keep the combine moving and give the cart man a little more time and chance to catch up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Neighbor has one of these on his Lexion....snapped the final drive's off twice in a couple of weeks.... Sounds like you are happy with your purchase, but for the life of me I don't see why this is a good idea, especially on a side hill machine. I thought that's why we have grain carts, LOL. Hope you have good luck....a Deere has a welded axel, but you have just a few bolts holding yours on, seems like you are asking for trouble and putting a lot of faith into a few bolts! LOL.
So fj does this mean your super Deere has the rim welded onto the hub as well? :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have not had any problems yet in soybeans. Had it close to full a couple times. The tires definitely bulge lol it has already made us so much more productive. Here's a couple pics of it not quite completely full. Don't have a cart with a scale to know exactly what we can fit on it though

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I know of a few guys running them with out issue, if I did not have the covers I would have them on the 9230 for sure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts