The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trading a 2588 to a low houred 8120. Just wondering if there is a benefit to the small tube rotor. We combine mainly wheat barley canola ,some edible beans.
Is the magnacut a lot better than the fine cut? Any comparison to the new holland cr choppers.?
Is the variable speed feederhouse important to have?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I haven't run one yet but I did a lot of research before we bought ours. The ST rotor seems to be fairly popular around here, I think a lot of new combines are being ordered with it. It seems to give more capacity but I think you can make them throw over a little easier too.

The magnacut takes a lot of power from what I understand. A dealer told me that they had an 8120 fine cut that would run with a 9120 magnacut this fall. I have no idea how they compare to the CR's.

Did you price out new ones too? We sold our trade privately and did a cash deal and there wasn't much difference between new and the used 08/09's. We had some dealers actually quoting more than new price. I don't know what you could wrangle on your trade but it might be worth a look if you haven't already.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think the magna cut takes 40 some hp. Also the small tube rotor was made for what ur wanting to do so yeah I bet u would want one!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't personally run one but talked to a lot of guys that say the small tube will give you more capacity but you have to keep your rotor speed up to increase syntrifical force. With the magna cut I guess you could always back the stationary knives out a bit if it's sucking to much horse power.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Several guys using them here in Alberta on wheat, barley and canola, but they are suppose to be better in tough conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts