The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I need some advice.
I'm harvesting dry corn 14% and I'm having trouble with right front modules blocking up with the husk leaf(I think that's what it's called??).
I'm running large wire modules in 1&2 and clearance setting on monitor at 18 and rotor setting at 350. I'm getting seive loss I'm expecting due to excessive kernels getting carried through to seperation area because as soon as I clean blockage all is good again.
Would adjusting the pinch point closer to rotor on that side help keep modules from blocking? Or should I be running different settings?
Harvesting around 80t/hr with 8row 40"spacing corn front doing 12km/hr.
Peterson 1 1/8 seives pre seive 5notch top 19 bottom 20 fan 1150.
Also do people find the corn seives give a much better result in cleaning over the seives I currently run?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have you tilted your sieve? You can also try moving a skip to the second spot to get more grain to fall out faster. Another trick to get the bottom sieve to open more is to use the button on the outside. It will move the motor a little more and should stay there unless you use the in cab button.

Forgot to add. Do you have straight separator bars on the back of the rotor or spikes or both?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Manual is fairly accurate, set pinch point per manual, set vanes per manual, with corn that dry may have to put in fast position to move product thru, your limiting factor is the 1 1/8 sieves, believe manual calls for 1 5/8 sieves, Scott.

·
Registered
460 Posts
He is only doing around 3200 bu/hr. The limiting factor is not 1 1/8 sieves. He needs a bigger header to make the combine really work.

I would put the presieve on 4th notch from the bottom. Should be just open a little bigger than the corn kernal. You might have to close the top sieve some. You may also have too much fan speed. Tilting the sieve to the left (Raising the heavy load on the sieves) is going to help out the most. You can play with that on the go.

What is the test weight of the corn?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses.
325mag I have spikes on rear of rotar. The whole setup is for sorghum as this is our first year of growing corn under irrigation, n disappointing to say the least as last years broadacre is out yielding it, it did have some intense heat around flowering and really knocked the yield back though.
I'm only new at this combine game so I'm gonna ask a probably stupid question "how do u tilt the seive , I thought they were self levelling"??
I'm still confused though why the concave modules would be blocking up only on the right side and not the left?
Also when closing down the top seive anymore than 18 seive loss goes up.
Scott we did set up as per manual but the sample was fairly dirty with broken cob and seive loss was high.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Seems to me you were on here about a year ago asking about this topic?

A couple of things.

In 14% corn the cob should be rock hard and should not be getting broken up enough to get in the sample. You don't say what variety the corn is, is it a food grade corn?

It's not uncommon for the right front side to be plugged with thrash. That said, it sounds like with the right side plugged most of your grain is falling on the left side and overloading the left side leading to your grain loss? My question to you on this is, are your sieves level to start with? It not unheard of for a service tech or factory error and not have the sieves level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Midwest your correct I was asking for settings last year for corn and thanks to everyone's help I did get the combine running well as it was for the start of this harvest until the concaves started blocking up about 300 acres into harvest. Being new to all this I wasn't sure if this is normal or not so thanks for pointing out this can happen at least I know now it's not a problem I've caused.
That being said I will read the manual up and check the seives are level as you pointed out.
The corn is a pacific seeds variety 727 for gritting which they are using for corn chips.
What I have noticed this crop is that you nearly twist a cob in half by hand before kernels come off it whereas last year the kernels fell off easily.
Thanks for everyone's help it looks like I have a lot to learn

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hard threshing corn. You sure you're getting sieve loss? With this combine it can be hard to see rotor loss on the ground because the chopper ( though not engaged ) and the rear spinners will finish threshing the corn. Usually though if you look real close at the ground you will still find kernels attached to the cob.

When you're harvesting a specialty crop sometimes the quickest/easiest way to find your issue is with a full load kill test on the combine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agree with the round bar statement. They are to avoid high moisture plugging. Also adjusting concave side shift will move the gran pile on the pan left or right pending on which way it is moved. Pinchpoint won't really change the grain pile location.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the thickness of the cob? The thickness should be your starting point for the concave #. Just at a case combine clinic & the guru said keep tightening the concave till the cobs rub the leaves off. Some run round bars to help let the corn out & less matting of concave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
replace the front 4 largewire modules with rounbar modules,they wont plug. make sure everything is calibrated properly. after calibration is done go to sieve ofsett and change it to +1 and for fanspeed 1000rpm`s will be fine. make sure fan doesn`t plug with leaves it happened with our 8120,sucks it in from the side

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.