The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started 8240 combine after being in storage all winter. When I shut off the rotor and feeder, the feeder does not shut down completely, it runs at about 80 to 90 according to the display. They only way it would shut off is if I shut off the combine and restarted it again. My first thought was maybe the oil was cold, but I let it warm up for 20 minutes and tried it, same results. Im hoping its not the clutches in the cvt? The oil is clean. Maybe a solenoid sticking somewhere, any suggestions to try first without tearing it apart?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can reverse it, but only on initial startup. Once I engage the rotor and separator, and disengage everything, It wont let me reverse it because the feeder never completely stops. Ive tried several times to calibrate it, it starts the calibration process, and then the feeder starts to turn by itself in the middle of the calibration, and on the screen it says "working on it" but it doesnt finish.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Hmm that could be a mechanical issue like you say. But since it seems to stop if you "reboot" the combine, perhaps it's still something on the control side of things. To verify it's not on the hydraulic motor side of the CVT, you could trace the hoses on that hydraulic motor to the valve block and try unplugging the solenoids and see if it stops turning. Although if the valves were sticking internally you couldn't tell from this.

On the clutch side of things I'm sure there has to be a hydraulic circuit to control the clutch somehow, perhaps it's acting up. Dealer's service department have any idea?

I had a cursory glance through my copy of an 8120 service manual, but it doesn't have much to say about troubleshooting. In fact Case's service manuals are pretty disappointingly silent on some topics.

Under diagnostics on the monitor, are there any fault codes?

·
Registered
177 Posts
This could be a couple of things some that come to the top of my head are the hydraulic pump that drives the motor which drives the cvt speed is not finding center so it creeps, there could be an issue with either the valve that sends pressure to the ring to frame (rtf) clutch in the cvt, the rtf clutch in the cvt is not containing the oil sent to it due to a failed seal, or the feeder is not slowing down enough for the rtf clutch to engage possibly due to warped engine to ring steels. In diagnostics screen settings<feederhouse<rtf clutch then go to graph and watch rtf should be on when combine is idle. Then should turn off when separator is engaged, then back on when feeder slows down under maybe 50rpm can’t remember exactly off the top of my head. Since you say it’s spinning faster something is likely driving it whether it’s dragging on the engine input or a pump not returning to center. Does it act differently when shut down at high idle or low idle? The last one I saw would go forever at low idle but when at high idle the rtf would engage the way it should. I checked rtf pressure on it and everything was acting like it should the feeder would just not slow down enough to lock up the rtf at idle with out the parasitic draw of a header. So I would make sure the rtf is engaging when it should on start up and shut down, then check control pressure in combine info<hydraulics, this should be at 320 psi +- 10 and should drop momentarily but recover quickly every time clutch is engaged like when the feeder is engaged or disengaged this will tell you the seals are good. If you disconnect the speed sensor on the feeder house and everything works it will point you towards the cvt clutches and steels dragging when they should be released. Sorry for the rambling kinda tired and don’t want to rewrite hopefully this points you in the right direction. Final thought the valve stem that controls the engine to ring could be partially stuck on allowing slight oil into the clutch causing it to coast. The valve that runs the rotor cvt is identical to the feeder cvt so you could take the rotor etr valve stem and switch it with the feeder etr valve stem to take it out of the equation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, thanks for the detailed answers. My dealer really couldnt give me a good answer, they just wanted to send a tech out, which might happen, but not before I do some more checking what you recommended. I didnt see any fault codes. I like the idea of trying to see if it does it at full throttle, or with a header attached. Unfortunately, our headers are still in storage at our other farm a ways away.
I will do some troubleshooting on Saturday or Sunday, and see if I can narrow it down and then update on the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so here is what happened when I did some troubleshooting. I plugged out the feeder speed sensor, and then everything worked on hi idle and low idle, the clutch engaged no problem. Then I plugged the speed sensor back in, and on low idle if I shut off the feeder house, same thing happened as before, the feeder would drag at 60 to 90 rpm, I'm guessing just a little to fast for the clutch to safely engage. But when I put the combine on hi idle, the clutch engaged, and worked good. I tried it 4 or 5 times on hi idle, and everything worked. Hopefully that's a good sign???
control pressure is right where you said, @Dialed In, around 320 psi. Would you guys recommend something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The etr clutch is dragging slightly and the drag breaks when there is more engine speed if your good with how it acts then leave it if your concerned you will likely have to rebuild feeder cvt with new clutch fibers, steels, and return springs. It is still possible the etr valve stem is stuck on slightly you could switch the one in the rotor and feeder then you would know for sure. Also make sure that solenoid is not slightly energized on shut down. Once you shut down feederhouse pull the solenoid off the stem and see if it stops, doubt that is the issue but worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I will try to switch the etr valves (if I can find them) and see what happens, and also pull the solenoid of the stem and rule that out. So in your expert opinion @Dialed In, will this get worse over time? Right now I'm thinking of running it this year and if it persists rebuilt it in the winter time. Its just funny that it started in the spring and didnt notice anything before this. I had the rotor out in the fall after harvest and before I put it away for the winter everything was running really well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's hard to say if it will get worse, it's possible it will get better if the clutches burnish themselves. Here is the breakdown of the valve, if you can put a pressure gauge on port 22 and make sure the oil pressure completely drains off then you know for sure the problem is in the CVT, I would check that before condemning the CVT. The easy way to check it is to switch the ETR stems like we discussed earlier however there is still a possibility the spool in the valve is stuck so the only way to know for sure is to put a pressure gauge in it, I would use a 500 psi gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right, thanks for the input. We will do some more diagnosing. This is why I love the combine forum. Very intelligent useful information. Just wondering where did you get a picture of the valve assembly or any valve assembly for that matter. I looking in my service book and could not find it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I work on these for a living, used to farm so I know how it is. I try to help as much as I can, with out being there sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The fact that it does not run initially until you start it once, makes me think its more likely in the solenoid than the actual clutch pack. Once you engage it, then the solenoid is not shutting all the way back off. It could be electrical, but my guess is a sticky solenoid piston letting a little oil thru and keeping the clutch partly engaged. I would certainly try unplugging the electrical connector and seeing if it stops. I would also rebuild/clean the solenoid body before tearing apart the whole gearbox. I wouldn't let it go, as a "partially on" clutch is a soon-to -be-burned-out clutch.
However, I'm not a CIH tech, so take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dialed In, all I tried was to unplug the solenoid. When I have the combine header hooked up it works good. Where is the header unhooked, the clutch will engage about half the time. I just left it alone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts