The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our 8240 for 5 seasons now and have had our fair share of issues with the thing. Wanted to get an idea from others if we're an outlier or if this is standard with Case combines? We ran CRs previously.

2200 engine 1600 rotor
Overheating hydro issues first season
Feeder house drive shaft bad allignment new chain, sprockets and shaft
LHS chopper bearing
Fan idler bearing
Engine belt idler bearing
Hydraulic block on feeder reverse fail
Both inner duels cracked out
RHS chopper bearing
Other engine belt idler bearing
Cross shafts in transmission fail
Feeder house gearbox slip clutch fail
Updated elephant ear kit bad bolts lost an ear new concaves, rotor bits, chopper and grid.
Another round of engine bearings, fan bearing.
Chopper drive tensioner bearings and shaft
Unload drive engage tensioner
2000h engine liner fail sump full of coolent engine replaced
Rear wheel bearing nut snapped off shaft loosing wheel

Few other little problems but that's most of it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
We've been through at least two fan idlers in the last 6 years. Seems like a common problem. The newer machines went to a hydraulic drive to eliminate that belt entirely.

The chopper bearings are real weak spots on these machines. Especially the left side one, since there's a ton of heat generated by the bearings of that inner shaft. The right side not so much, but still can be a problem. They recommend greasing those bearings every 100 hours now (not too much grease and don't forget the smaller inner bearing on the right hand side!). Some people mentioned they replaced the bearings with heavy duty jobber bearings. The OEM bearings are or were of poor quality, and the locks they used were awful.

From what people said on this forum, a lot of people had problems with cracked rims with duals. Seems like they needed to have been mounted with all the paint ground off on the mating surfaces. I can't recall if people were just replacing the rims (expensive) or just got welding shops to fix the rims.

There was talk on the forum a few years ago about a bad batch of Iveco engines with porous castings that lead to engine failures. Case never did own up to that I don't think.

As to the rest of your issues, there have been some complaints on the forums about the hydro overheating, even recently.

We've run 4 flagship machines over the last 12 years or so and haven't had any of the other problems you mention. Seems to me like your machine is an outlier. Odd that you've had so many issues with it. Might be time to unload it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers the sorted out the overhearing with a 30%? Bigger fan pulley which made the idler and bearing issues worse.

Yea they were sure the 40s the choppers were fixed. Yea been on the 100 5 pumps since new.

We busted NH duals they got the studs sorted with the 40s but the dish just seperated from the flat face no stud issues or hole to hole cracks.

I didn't mention that our first 8240 didn't make the drive home before punching a hole in the block. We got a replacement header.

Still haven't heard back about the engine from case yet have a 50k engine bill tho.

There were a bunch of people loose those new rotor ears that were updated didn't get any help from CNH on that either 🙄

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gotta love globalisation and parts from 10 different third world countries. Thanks CNH. Or maybe the second shift at Grand Island is sipping too much hooch.

Like the 68$ 6207 bearing from mazer plus after hours charge at 10:30pm late october....fine, whatever.

Except the friggen bearing is a no name made in china. Very confidence inspiring. Probably spent more money on the 4 layers of packaging than the actual bearing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Definitely a sour experience, foxwell_87. There are many flagship machines in my area, and I wouldn't say they all or most have these problems. Despite the design flaws mentioned here, they seem to work pretty well for most of us. But we don't operate in the same conditions as you do. Our temperatures are much lower here, so I'm not surprised we don't see overheating hydros very often here. Losing an engine is pretty rare. But does happen sometimes and it sucks.

I'm amazed how well these machines do work seeing as they never were designed for small grains, and how Case has a hard time picturing how farming is done outside the 100 mile radius of their headquarters. To say nothing of the fact that the flagship machine was a rushed hack job after the New Holland acquisition to build their new machine on the NH frame and drive train. It turned out amazingly well.

Your machine seems particularly cursed. Sucks to have that much money sunk into it and feel like you'd love to toss the machine off the cliff. Don't blame you if this experience makes you hesitate about buying Case again.

Definitely agree that the parts situation sucks. I'm tired of funding these new dealership buildings.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
My 8240 has done nearly 2000 engine hours ....... so I know about the engine fan & idler bearing issues! It’s certainly a prick of a job to change them all.
Case needs to make available an “air scoop” type PIP ....... to fix this problem.
JD had the same issues & their air scoop made an absolutely massive difference.
ive had no issues with chopper bearings - touch wood - & I grease them, one pump per day. I don’t like that inner bearing on the drive of the LHS. That’s a problem waiting to happen!
Apart from the general run of the mill bits that wear out ....... it’s been a good machine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Had our 8240 for 5 seasons now and have had our fair share of issues with the thing. Wanted to get an idea from others if we're an outlier or if this is standard with Case combines? We ran CRs previously.

2200 engine 1600 rotor
Overheating hydro issues first season
Feeder house drive shaft bad allignment new chain, sprockets and shaft
LHS chopper bearing
Fan idler bearing
Engine belt idler bearing
Hydraulic block on feeder reverse fail
Both inner duels cracked out
RHS chopper bearing
Other engine belt idler bearing
Cross shafts in transmission fail
Feeder house gearbox slip clutch fail
Updated elephant ear kit bad bolts lost an ear new concaves, rotor bits, chopper and grid.
Another round of engine bearings, fan bearing.
Chopper drive tensioner bearings and shaft
Unload drive engage tensioner
2000h engine liner fail sump full of coolent engine replaced
Rear wheel bearing nut snapped off shaft loosing wheel

Few other little problems but that's most of it.
Surprised you didn't mention a worn out cone leaking grain.
Seems with my neighbours that have these machines that they can't seem to get 1000 hrs out of them machines doing wheat before the cone needs replacing or patches welded on it.
Definitely you have the patience of a saint.
Too bad you didn't dump that thing before the engine piled.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
We're nearing 1500 hours and thinking about replacing the cones or putting in a wear liner. Vanes are getting worn too. Haven't noticed any leaks just yet, but will give them a good look over. Rub bars are still okay. Tore up the rubber flap that seals the front of the shaker pan to the front wall under the rotor. Looks to be quite a job to replace that. Bolts come from the underside of the combine. I think it's doable if we remove the wire cage around the transmission.

Seems like all machines have things that are just so slick and well engineered, and other things that are real head scratchers, or just bad ideas, like the shaft inside the chopper shaft.

·
Registered
71 Posts
almost the same hours on my 9240. 2000 engine and 1500 sep. Hydro overheats if more than 15 miles road time. I just run the separator down the road and fixes it. Had a few belts blow on the cooling screen. Lots of O-rings this season. Installed a cone liner two seasons ago instead of replacing and been great. Other than these, been a great machine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We run a 2588 that has had hydro heating and power issues. The hydro is being changed now. They were hoping to get me into an 8240 but after this post I think I will see if the hydro issues go away. In addition, we run a 2388 and a 1688 as backup and very few issues year after year. Find it difficult to jump to flagships because we love our honey B headers and they won't fit the new combines. Might hold off one more year. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Since there’s been some saying their cone is worn out, I’m wondering what type of cone & cage you specify when ordering your machine?
I always order the highest spec. chrome cone & cage, & everything else, augers, clean grain elevator, rotor etc. etc. as high as spec as possible. I do rice & whilst people may think rice is really abrasive, pulse crops (peas, vetch, etc.) as much harder on the machine than rice as you are inevitably pushing dirt through the machine ....... & dirt/sand ...... wears things out!
At just over 31,000 tonne I replaced all cone vanes & “T” bolts - along with new feeder chain, MickeyMouse gearbox shaft, etc.etc. The cone was not worn at all.
I consider this extra cost at purchase well worth the money.
So I’m wondering if the machines that are wearing the cone out are low spec. cones & cages?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Case Australia order extended wear cone and concaves as standard equipment.
Why there is a lower option makes no sense, but that is why the Flagships have got this reputation.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Case Australia order extended wear cone and concaves as standard equipment.
Why there is a lower option makes no sense, but that is why the Flagships have got this reputation.
That would be why when I picked up a rock last year it smashed up the vanes and knocked off an ear but did bugger all to the cone. Lost two days waiting for a plough bolt because Case use metric and no one in town can get metric plough or carriage bolts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts