The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the reliability of these tractors, need something for rolling and light field work. It has 540 and 1000 pto, would also be used for augers at harvest time. How many hours is allot for these tractors thanks.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yes please... They were what really pushed Deere.. Excellent power and cab, first real field luxury with arm rest. Way better then a magnum at the time.

Actuators and electronics in the shifting will need to be adjusted and calibrated. Pretty bullet proof

·
Registered
420 Posts
Regardless of how good or bad they were new, they are 20 years old now and it is far more important when you are buying a machine of this age to buy something that has been taken care of and you can get parts and expertise for rather than buying a particular brand and model.

There are plenty of less popular machines that had issues early on that have had the problems fixed through up dates and are cheap to buy. By the same token, people buy what are perceived to be good machines and just plain neglect them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The 8X00 and 8X10 series were probably the best mfwd that deere ever has or will build. We bought one with about 8700 hours on it but know of plenty that have 13,000 hours plus on them and still going strong. We band in our fertilizer and do tillage at the same time in the spring with it. It pulls really good, pulling a 36ft BG 8800 with sweeps & 3 bar harrows, BG 3165 (Full of Fertilizer) and a 36ft Packer bar after that. Running at about 1750 -1880 engine rpm at 6 mph and usually tilling about 3 - 4.5 inch deep (dark brown loam). It has duals and does however have big firestone metric tires on and is weighted up to around 26,000 pounds which probably helps a lot. We have also used it on a few other implements around the yard, it has all three PTO's (540, Small 1000, Big 1000) comes in very handy when you need it. I would not be afraid of buying one with higher hours as long as it wasn't abused and neglected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another positive experience here. Had both an 8100 and 8300. Over 6000 hours without issues before trading up to the 8X20 series. We calibrated powershifts a time or two as 8850jd described to make shifts smoother, although 12th to 13th gear is always bit of a jerk. Great machines overall.

One other thing to note...seemed like 1/4 tank of fuel on the gauge was almost empty in the tank, at least for the two tractors I had. Don't ask how I know...

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
OK, the pics threw a wrench at me. Those appear to be an interchangeable shaft, which I didn't think was available on the 8000 series. For what FJ explained I vision a standard 1000 shaft on the tractor with some sort of a gear reduction device that slide over top of it and had a 540 shaft coming out of it. Consequently the factory 1000 shaft would be still in place and spinning the 540. Not arguing, just wanting to understand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll try to explain as best as I can. Right now the the tractor is setup for small 1000 as you can see but if I undo those 4 bolts I can flip the gear reduction around, put the 4 bolts back in and then it is set for 540 PTO. Or I can take the whole gear reduction box off and just put my Large 1000 PTO in via snap ring.

If anyone was wondering, the additional PTO's was only a factory option and can't be added as an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
For auger usage, I just adapt the 1000 to 540rpm and run the tractor slower. Tach for the pto speed makes it easy. And the tractor will develop far more horsepower at 1/2 engine speed than a 540 rpm pto can withstand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We have two 8r tractors with those 540/small 1000. And then the stand alone large 1000. The bolt on so called "gearbox" is not really any kind of reduction gearbox all it is an extension with bearings in it. The tractor does all the gear reduction. Not really sure why they did that big bolt on bearing housing other than it extends the pto of farther so you don't need to adjust drawbar length. It is a very nice option to have...just looks silly to have a 345hp tractor running a 10 in auger but if that's the only tractor available sure beats buying a another tractor to use for a couple of days till small tractor is freed up .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most of the 8000 series have about 40 more hp than rated. I run a chipped 8300, pto hp on the dyno is 315. There is a 8300 on kijiji in alberta that looks nice for 49000 canadian dollars. Not sure of pto looks like 1000 only

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.