The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were disking with our 8420 and it was running a little warm. It showed to be running 212 F. Never had a problem with temperature. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was wondering if the temp sensor could be going bad or maybe the water pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the deal with the fan clutch. Do they completely fail or just not fully engage? Did check the fan clutch by killing the tractor and it stopped turn with the tractor water temp at 212 F. Never heard of a water pump going out but how do you diagnosis?

·
Registered
492 Posts
that's a good place to use one of the infrared scan thermometers.

Careful removing the radiator cap. You would want to check for coolant flow with the engine cool as it warms up and the thermostat opens.

I would try to turn the fan by hand once the engine has stopped with the engine temperature up there. I don't think you should be able to turn it at all unless you slip the belt. If you can turn it with a hot radiator in front of it and the temperature of the engine over 200 degrees, I would consider that defective.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If everything else checks out, than it probably is the water pump. Usually the impeller is slipping on the shaft. Than it will not pump any coolant. Remove radiator cap and check for coolant flow.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On dad's 8100 when the fan clutch quit it just kinda free spun rather than locking enough to cool it. I made some lockups for it because the clutch costs so much. Ran it that way 2 years now no problems. It pushes more air all the time and won't get quite as warm when it's cold out, but nothing to really bother.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i bought an 8520 cheap that had a problem with its fan clutch, it can be tested by observing fan direction first then waiting for the heating issue to arrise then stick a sledge hammer handle (or like) into the fan in the place where the blades will just push it out if it is locked up. if the fan stops spinning then the clutch needs to be locked up by drilling a hole through the hub and putting a bolt in it or replacing the clutch i think it cost me $1300au.

·
Super Moderator
3,053 Posts
I had the viscous fan clutch fail on 1978 GMC 454 1/2 ton pickup.
But it went the opposite way, it locked up.
The noise at high engine speeds was unreal indicating to me those are never truly totally locked.
It eventually threw the fan belt off, cutting the noise and significantly increasing rear wheel horsepower.

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts