The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about updating my 4960. It is mainly my planting and drilling tractor. I pull a 16 row 1720 stack fold. Are there any issues with the 8520 or 8430 that I need to look out for. Which would be the better choice? It will be around for several years to come. T.I.A.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well cab wise they are pretty identical,

8430 has the possibility of an IVT transmission.

Peak tested PTO power between the 2 are similar ~300hp.

Well proven tier2 common rail 8.1L in the 8520.

Nice power band in the 9L but also more complicated management... Variable turbo and EGR.

At the end of the day they are both great machine.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,940 Posts
Not sure about the smaller 30's but be aware of the variable speed engine fan pulleys and belt. They can be trouble, two tractors burnt and one tried too in my area a few years back. And I know of others that have to change the belts all to regularly. Our 8520 has obscene amounts of hours on it and still going strong. Great tractor

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure about the smaller 30's but be aware of the variable speed engine fan pulleys and belt. They can be trouble, two tractors burnt and one tried too in my area a few years back. And I know of others that have to change the belts all to regularly. Our 8520 has obscene amounts of hours on it and still going strong. Great tractor
How many hours is obscene? Im very interested in 20 vs 30 series myself

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,940 Posts
About 15-18000?? Hard to know exactly but it's had three owners all in my area, us being owner 3, and the other two hard work in cotton country. We bought it once and it had dodgy hours, owner said something went wrong with the Display in the console. (I think the clock went around once already). Then we sold it to a bloke who worked the ass of it then we bought it back again. The 30's are nice but the variable drive fan is a piss poor setup.

Must admit too, any model 20/30s, with a few hours, the active seat will probably give trouble and need a complete overhaul. Depends abit on the type of work the tractor has done I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.