The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem foolish to most guys but I grow more sunflowers than corn so I have to pick an all crop head to do both. Plus in SWND if you hit 100 bushel corn that is quite an accomplishment.
Anyone else combine corn with an all crop head?
i have been for 3 years but am always looking for some more advice on setting the machine to clean the corn up better.
I run my sieves and chaffer the same as the book and the fan at 1000. Cylinder at 350 and concave at 6. Precleaner has always puzzled me but I just open it a crack.
Just always seem to get more cob and stalk pieces than the other samples I have seen from cornhead combines.
Or maybe I will just have to live with this.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We did that one year back when we were growing sunflowers in the early 90's. I believe we opened the concave a little wider than the book said. Just keep opening it up until you find unthreshed corn on the cob then close it back down a little. You can open the precleaner about the same as the chaffer if I remember right. Are you using filler plates? Everyone around here quit using them and couldn't tell any difference and it's a lot easier not to fool with them.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You say you have more cob/stalk pieces than other cornhead combines, that's because the cornheads are only taking the cob/husks/corn not the whole plant from below the ears up. You will see more cob/stalks in your sample just because you're taking in more volume of the stuff as opposed to a traditional corn head rather than a row head.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On 100 bu corn don't open your sieve as wide as the book says. The precleaner drops grain right into the tank to take the pressure off the rest of the sieves. So both the precleaner and bottom sieve should be just wide enough to let the grain fall in without too much return. You can check how much your returning by opening that door outside your door and checking your door on the tailings auger while your combining for a little ways. You always want a little grain returning for a clean sample.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts