The Combine Forum banner

855 Cummins cutting out?

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  offroadnt 
#1 ·
I am having issues with my 855 cutting out..

I cleaned up the wire for the shut off.. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel filter, if that doesn't work test the fuel bypass to see if the shutoff is acting up..

I also have to get new positive batteries wires.. I have good power in the cab so I don't think it is effecting the shut off, anyone have other ideas...?

It does have good power but not like I think it should... Hoping its fuel filters. But usually they don't just die, but it happened after hard running for a few hours, then all of a sudden it did it three times in ten min...
Any other ideas?

#4 ·
Could be a poor ground connection. Have a pete 377 with an 855 cummins that we have to clean the ground posts on the batteries really well at least once a year or else the engine will cut in and out while going down the road...especially when engine is working hardest.

#8 ·
Replaced the battery terminals, which I had to anyways,

Very likely was a plugged fuel filter, when I took the old filter off it was half full of fuel.. So we will see how it runs now... But most likely the filter was my issue...
Thanks for the replies.

#9 ·
If you still have the used fuel filter around, cut it open when you have a chance and see what color the filtering medium is, if its black from fine particles building up on the surface or has any rusty type look to it. It could give a window into what is coming out of your storage tanks.

Years back my dad never used to have filters on any storage tanks, gas or diesel and that certainly showed up with gas engine filters plugging up way too fast with brown rusty crap and on the diesel side, the versatile, then the steiger both with the 855 cummins seemed to plug filters almost like clock work at around 500 hours if not sooner. Although I've been changing filters on combines, tractors etc on a regular basis anyway, I've never had one surprise me by plugging in the field since I installed filters on every storage tank. Only one diesel tandem that has an aftermarket Racor filter with a two micron filter on it, that one plugs very soon so goes to show the average filter on an engine or storage tank doesn't filter out at all what one of those is capable of.

#11 ·
Yup, definitely something to look into filter wise but I also realize they get up their in $$ when one gets the large spin on water absorbing filter that can flow good with a gravity tank system like we use ( another words old technology ) . That's why I ended up tying two 1000 gallon tanks into a common manifold so I would only have one high flow filter and one large 1 1/2 hose and nozzle to purchase. Multiple tanks at ground level with a high capacity electric pump and good filtering system would be ideal though.

#12 ·
If your tanks are sloped properly with the outlet at high end and the low end drained at least once a year and you allow fuel to settle minimum 12 hours after delivery, water and any other contaminates are a none issue. I have no more fuel filter issues running fuel out of my farm tanks than I did running the trucks off cardlock fuel. More often than not, it is contamination in the vehicle's own tank causing the issues. Just my experience and opinion;)

And that name Racor...ohhh how that name makes me shudder, was forty some below up in the Chinchaga when that got bypassed and tore off the old KW one cold frosty night half way up a hill...anyone need some filters? I got lots, and separator, that is laying somewhere out in the bush along the AB/BC border:D

#15 ·
And that name Racor...ohhh how that name makes me shudder, was forty some below up in the Chinchaga when that got bypassed and tore off the old KW one cold frosty night half way up a hill...anyone need some filters? I got lots, and separator, that is laying somewhere out in the bush along the AB/BC border:D
Racor, I guess if your running a boat they might be useful, otherwise that has to be the most useless piece of crap to ride around on trucks and tractors. We have a few sitting in our never to be used again parts also and there might be a big one that's going to be removed from our new Versatile when the warranty is off.

#13 ·
Hmmmm AB, I wonder if your Racor took the same element as our tandem ... do you have GPS coordinates for the tree where your storing the spare filters :D . Certain moments in time up in the Chinchaga is what I shudder more at .... oh oh, its muskeg and its not frozen ....

This new diesel with the bio component, I get the idea its more prone to being a problem in the sense of growing things inside of tanks. I keep wondering if I should be starting to use an additive in the fuel ( one that actually works ) to combat that and to add lubricity to the fuel.

Well hopefully 8850JD, its just a filter issue and nothing serious to contend with.

#14 ·
The tank has been talked about retirement...
I wouldn't be surprised if it has more to do with supplier, but what can you do.

I run the car quest filter and theb855 filters are cheap and easy to change...

Didn't really have to many problems, and I don't keep track off fuel filters, should write hours on th

#17 ·
I can't say we had a problem with our Racor but it was where it was installed in the system that made no sense. For some reason I still don't know, this diesel shop in town got dad interested (conned into) installing one and they installed it ( probably looking for a work creation project $$$ ) . In any event they installed it as the first filter that the diesel would go through as its being sucked out of the trucks fuel tanks so the courser filters that the truck has right at the injection pump have no work to do at all. So because of where its installed, at 5000 km the truck falls flat on its face suddenly and yup, its the Racor that needs a new element. I'm not even sure if I can get more elements or not as the last time I bought two or three, the supplier I bought them at hands them across the counter and looked like they had been kicking around back there for 20 years with the amount of dust stuck to the filter bags.

Two years back I had our 8970 with the cummins quit stone cold in the field while sitting idling while being refilled with NH3 and it turned out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid assembly but in a self destructing manor as it split the body wide open, the Cummins shop had never seen something like that before ... lucky me. I couldn't even do the screw bypass method as diesel was leaking out of the whole mess.

#20 ·
Any equipment over 15-20 years old it's a good idea to change the suction and return fuel lines if they are rubber. The ULSD is often not compatible with older rubber hoses and biodiesel is not either. They won't leak fuel but they suck air. Easy maintenance. Some of the seals in the PT pump aren't compatible either. If you get it rebuilt a good shop will put the right ones in. Add a dual fuel line while you are wrenching too.

#22 ·
That's where it's supposed to go Northern Farmer, engine manufacturers put all the protection you need on their engines, anything else is extra expense, weight and trouble. If you have problems with factory components check your fuel supply, your problems are upstream your equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.