The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Perkins V8 died. I thought it was lack of fuel because it was low. I refilled and it still won't start. I've verified fuel to the injector pump, but nothing comes out of the injector lines when I turn over the engine. Any suggestions for troubleshooting why it won't start?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you have fuel to the pump but nothing getting to the injectors it sounds like the pump went out. Best case scenerio is the fuel filters are clogged.

·
Registered
450 Posts
if you can blow into the fuel tank with a regulated air hose.10 15 psi.we use a rubber ball to make a seal, and crank the engine over with the injector lines cracked.also check the fuel line from tank to pump better yet just replace it they will crack and becomes a real pain to start.one little air bubble can bring a perkins to her knees.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Its going back a few years and was on an 850, neighbor had the exact same issue. Does yours have the Murphy switch gauges wired into the fuel pump solenoid wiring? On that 850, as I recall was some kind of electric valve mounted above the engine and it was a bad connection to it that was preventing the fuel to turn on. That one had the inline 6, without pulling the manuals I couldn't say for sure if yours has that system.
But if it does, most likely somewhere there lies your troubles.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
V8 has it too. Two wires on it right at the very top of the engine.

Also check of the wires are aattached to the oil pressure sensor above the oil filters. Ours have come off and that kills the engine.

If that all checks out your fuel lift pump is bad... it is the round thing attached to the front of the injection pump...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had a lift pump issue on a 354 Perkins on MF 850 Prime it with the hand pump it would work for several hours then die with air in the system.
A fuel pressure gauge found low pressure.
Electric pump kept us going for 2/3 harvests untill the real issue surfaced.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you ran it out of fuel you need to bleed out the pump,if you have fuel at injector pump the murphy switch is working properly (its located between the lift pump and injector pump).All perkins I have operated needed to bled every time if they were run out of fuel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the obvious first check would be a fuel shut off solenoid, is there power to it, if not you have an issue, if there is power then is the solenoid opening, do a continuity test with an ohmeter to see if it has a short or open. then chase down the fuel delivery to the injection pump from the tank next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said, I've confirmed fuel to the injector pump. I have an electric fuel pump. I crack the check screw on the injector pump and turn on my key and get fuel there, so the fuel line and Murphy should be fine. Any way to diagnose the injector pump without pulling it? If I do change the pump, anything I should know? We had a mechanic change it last time and I remember it didn't look hard, but that was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my MF750. It turned out to be a seized fuel injection pump that had to be cut apart with a torch.

The fuel injector service guys asked me if I had perchance hit the hot pump with cold water, as that was the most common cause of a seized pump. I had in fact done that a couple of days before, cleaning out the chaff and oil seepage from the engine compartment. A very expensive lesson.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can you remove the side plate on the pump and check if the metering rack is moving freely, or is moving at all? Might just be a pin or something in the governor that drop.
It is the first think I would make sure on an inline pump.
You can also hear it "click" if you move trottle from low idle to high idle, and It should move even more when you push on the "starting help" button.

This is that plate with 3 bolts. You have to make sure you see the rack moving freely. (Should be above the plate, but you can feel her with your fingers)

Also, on a JD4440 tractor, I had the return valve on the injection pump getting stuck open, avoiding fuel pump to build up pressure. Tractor would never start, or start miserably and then die.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would still bleed the air in the lines from the pump to the injectors. I have to go through the whole procedure every fall cause it loses its prime in my 850's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts