The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a good custom harvester friend that has been red all his life and took the plunge into an 8700tt. He's in southern oklahoma cutting 80-90 bushel winter wheat. He's a bit overwhelmed as he's never been around one much and the dealer doesn't have much experience with the green ones.

I believe he's running the n18 concave. Said his sample looks pretty good but only getting 900 bph because of rotor loss.

These settings are close to what he's been trying:
12 concave
650 cyl
750 rotors
all rotor covers open

How does he make this thing eat wheat? If one of you guys with green combine hrww experience would be so kind to share your phone number, he would be ecstatic. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rotors are to slow. We run max speed in wheat. We were running 2000 bus/hr in 65 bushel wheat. Can’t remember rest of settings. Have to check

·
Super Moderator
4,003 Posts
Is this a 2021 8700?
If so it has raised wire rotor grates (5 of them) and 1000 rpm high idle max rotor speed.
Max the rotor speed and watch loss balance shoe vs rotor using rotor covers.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
A concave setting of 12 is too open. If you are in hard to thresh wheat I would be down to 3-6 mm so it is threshed the first time through the cylinder. As mentioned above when you have rotor loss you run the rotors wide open. If you have the wire style grates and not the 2020 year rotor grates and wide open rotors speed does not correct the rotor loss then it is time to weld in some keystocks into the rotor grates. If you need more info on the keystocks just send me a private message or start a conversation with me. Good luck SouthernSK

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
That cylinder speed seems slow too but being a larger cylinder might be the difference. Typically we’re never under 750 in wheat. Definitely way to slow on the rotors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this a 2021 8700?
If so it has raised wire rotor grates (5 of them) and 1000 rpm high idle max rotor speed.
Max the rotor speed and watch loss balance shoe vs rotor using rotor covers.
Thanks for the help, guys.

I believe it's a 2020 model, it was a year old when he bought it. I believe it would have come out of the factory around may or june of 2020.

He said that the dealer maybe mentioned a PIP on the rotor grates. Is that what this is about? When did the update happen?

I will have him max his rotor speed and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
4,003 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys.

I believe it's a 2020 model, it was a year old when he bought it. I believe it would have come out of the factory around may or june of 2020.

He said that the dealer maybe mentioned a PIP on the rotor grates. Is that what this is about? When did the update happen?

I will have him max his rotor speed and go from there.
Yes, it will be an update on 2019 and 2020 units, subject to parts availability speed wise, 2021’s come properly with raised wire rotor grates.
I do not not know scientifically exactly but I suspect it’s the same raised wire grates the yellow ones ran.

Make sure it is rotor and not shoe loss, with those staggered raised finger rotor grates shoe flooding is usually the bigger problem.

To me max rotor speed and rotor covers used to suit balanced loss is the best way in wheat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts